Global warming could cause the giant network of ocean currents that disperses heat to Northern Europe to cease temporarily in the next 100 years, according to new research. The North Atlantic Current transports warm water from the Gulf of Mexico towards Europe, providing much of the north-western parts of the continent with a relatively mild climate. But meltwater from Greenland and excessive rainfall caused by climate change could interfere with this ocean current, otherwise known as the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation. Using simulations, scientists in the Netherlands predicted a 15 percent likelihood that there will be a ‘partial collapse’ of the huge current network in the next 100 years. Atlantic Ocean Circulation transports relatively warm water from the Gulf of Mexico to north-western Europe WHAT IS THE NORTH ATLANTIC CURRENT? The Atlantic Meridional Ooverturning Circulation (AMOC) is a system of ocean currents that carries warm water from the tropics northwards into the North Atlantic.This ‘conveyor belt’ is driven by differences in temperature and salt content of the water.It consists of a northward flow of warm, salty water in the upper layers of the Atlantic, and a southward flow of colder, deep waters.This global process makes sure that the world’s oceans are… Read full this story
- Activist or spy? The curious case of a Cold War nuclear scientist
- High-speed climate change melts the ground in this Arctic town
- How evidence from the past is providing a climate change warning for the future
- Thousands of students leave lessons for climate protests on global day of action
- David Attenborough is right warning our extinction is on the horizon – Ken Livingstone
- 'Geomagnetic Jerks' to Blame for Weakening Magnetic Field, Scientists WARN
- The Climate Activist vs. the Economics Minister: 'My Generation Has Been Fooled'
- The Fishermen's Trail: Walk Portugal's answer to the Wild Atlantic Way
- Warning of outages as Storm Hannah to bring 130kmh gusts
- Weakened NATO: Europe's Immense Security Challenges in the Age of Trump
North Atlantic Current responsible for north-western Europe's mild climate could temporarily STOP within the next century, scientists warn have 313 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 30, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.