Germany’s government and chancellor are “elected for a full term” and should take that responsibility seriously, CDU party chief Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer told the conservative Die Welt newspaper. Kramp-Karrenbauer, formerly the premier of the small German state of Saarland, took over as CDU leader after Merkel announced she was stepping down from the job last year. Merkel is set to serve as chancellor of Germany until the end of her term in 2021, and she has signaled she would like to see Kramp-Karrenbauer take over that job. Addressing speculation that Merkel might leave earlier than planned, Kramp-Karrenbauer said she was not working to push the chancellor out. “When it comes to me, I can rule out that I am scheming for a change,” the CDU head told Die Welt. Watch video 02:49 Share Merkel’s emotional farewell Send Facebook Twitter google+ Whatsapp Tumblr linkedin stumble Digg reddit Newsvine Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/39heM Merkel bids an emotional farewell as CDU leader ‘Always room for speculation’ The 56-year-old Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer (also known as AKK) has struggled to gain popularity on the national level. The CDU is heading into the European parliament elections with some 30% support in Germany, which is about three percentage points less than what the… Read full this story
- Germany: Merkel’s party will have to wait for new leader
- Germany: Merkel's party will have to wait for new leader
- Merkel's Office Denies Report She is Mulling Running for Another Term Despite Plans to Resign
- Merkel's CDU suffers worst ever result in Hamburg elections
- 20 years since Merkel took the helm of Germany's Christian Democrats
- 20 years since Merkel took helm of Germany's Christian Democrats
- German President Steinmeier proposes Merkel as chancellor
- Angela Merkel Won Reelection, But Is She Still the Leader of the Free World?
- Brexit trade talks will be more complicated than first phase, says Merkel
- Opinion: Angela Merkel, Queen Elizabeth II show how to communicate
Merkel should serve full term, says heir Kramp-Karrenbauer have 319 words, post on www.dw.com at December 5, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.