A homeowner who got into a deadly fight with a man acting suspicious in his front yard has been released from police custody.
The 31-year-old man confronted a trespasser behaving suspiciously in the yard of his partner’s home in Dandenong North, Melbourne, about 5am on Monday.
During the confrontation with the 37-year-old man who was homeless, police said a fight broke out.
Both men were injured in the brawl, and the trespasser was rushed to hospital where he later died.
A man has died after a suspected fight with a homeowner on a street in Dandenong North in Melbourne’s south-east
A 31-year-old man, who lives in the house, was arrested by homicide detectives but released on Monday night
The homeowner was treated for minor injuries.
Homicide investigators released the homeowner on Monday night, but a statement from Victoria Police said investigations are continuing.
Investigators were on site scanning the scene for fingerprints and evidence on Monday afternoon.
Neighbours on Carlton Road told The Age they heard a disturbance on the street early in the morning.
‘My husband, he heard someone yelling, just the f-word or something like that, swearing. Around 4am,’ resident Tram Nguyen said.
Ms Nguyen said the incident on the street was not an outlier, and that a car had been broken into outside her home.
‘This area is not totally safe.’
‘There were bottles of blood on the fence,’ Carlton Road resident Stuart said. ‘They must have been giving him blood.’
Police have requested for anyone with further information on the incident to come forward.
A woman had seen the homeless man, 37, acting suspiciously and called police and told her partner, who went to confront him
Detectives are investigating the incident, with homicide investigators on site scanning the scene for fingerprints and evidence on Monday afternoon
- Great Eastern Run CANCELLED: Race suddenly pulled after man spotted 'acting suspiciously'
- Fatal assault of homeless man in Cork: ‘More will die on our streets’, charity worker says
- Chaos for thousands of runners as Great Eastern Run is axed with them on the start line as armed police race to report of man 'acting suspiciously' on the route amid fears he had planted a bomb
- Homeless man is found GUILTY of stalking Harry Styles in terrifying campaign that left One Direction star so scared he still locks his bedroom door at night
- MAFS stars Martha Kalifatidis and Michael Brunelli help a homeless man to his feet after falling over in New York City
- Homeless man’s camp has to go
- Harry Styles ‘stalked’ after taking pity on homeless man, court told
- Heroin-laced spliff ruined the hard work of a brave homeless man
- Homeless man living in Spring Bank tent served notice by council
- Death of homeless man in Cork park a 'warning' that urgent action on housing crisis required