Two Muslim men dived into a river in a desperate bid to save an elderly man’s life at he plunged from a Sydney bridge.
The men waded into the Parramatta River in Silverwater in Sydney’s west at about 1.15pm on Sunday when they saw the pensioner in the water.
Footage of the incident showed the pair walking through the waist-deep water before grabbing the man and hauling him back to the shore.
A crowd gathered as the men tried to resuscitate the pensioner, thought to be in his 80s, but he tragically died at the scene.
The men jumped in the Parramatta River to try and save an elderly man, believed to be in his 80s
After wading through waist-deep water, they dragged the man back to the shore
‘May Allah reward these two men who swam out to pull an old man that jumped off the bridge in Silverwater,’ a caption on the video read.
Social media users were quick to praise the men’s actions.
‘Bless these guys for swimming out to the man,’ said one Facebook user.
‘Well done to the brave men who jumped in,’ said another.
‘What legends going in there to help,’ shared someone else.
Social media users were quick to praise the men’s actions. Well done to the brave men who jumped in,’ said one user
New South Wales Police told Daily Mail Australia emergency crews were called to revive the man, who is believed to be of Asian descent and in his 80s.
‘Cumberland police and ambulance services were called to the scene.
‘Despite their best efforts, the man could not be resuscitated.’
Police said a report is being prepared for the coroner.
The death is not being treated as suspicious.
For confidential support call Lifeline 24-hour crisis support on 13 11 14.
- Pinellas Park Police Officer Saves Elderly Man from Burning House
- VIDEO: Elderly Man Says Teenagers Attacked Him in Violent ‘Gang Initiation’
- Robber who threatened an elderly man with a box cutter before tying him up, locking him in the trunk of a car and forcing his 81-year-old wife to withdraw cash at an ATM is jailed for 20 years
- 'Take that off, what is it?' Muslim reveller, 21, claims bouncers at a popular Sydney pub told her she must REMOVE her hijab to enter while her white friends could walk straight in - before police told her to move on
- Poignant moment police officer holds elderly man’s hand after his wife died
- Two men facing assault charges after man set on fire in Halifax
- 'White Men Built These Streets': Seattle Man Arrested After Going on Racist, Expletive-Filled Rant Against Black Man
- Elderly Man Drives Wildly Through LA Streets Hitting Parked SUV
- Wild West London: Terrifying moment screaming man goes on rampage - trying to rob a tourist, fighting with souvenir sellers and attacking an ambulance car
- Shocking footage of the moment a base jump goes wrong