Children in Germany are eating more and more sugary foods, and have quickly exceeded the yearly amount recommended by nutrition experts, the Berlin-based group Foodwatch said on Monday. The consumer advocacy organization named August 12 “Sugar Overshoot Day,” after calculating how much sugar kids in Germany consume and comparing it to guidelines issued by the World Health Organization, the German Nutrition Society and the German Diabetes Society. The data stems from a 2016 study in Dortmund that analyzed the nutritional habits of 1,000 children in Germany aged between 3 and 18. The study found that kids were consuming 63% more sugar than what was recommended. Foodwatch also determined that adult men in Germany reach “Sugar Overshoot Day” on September 20 while adult women reach it on October 8. Watch video 01:13 Share Should Germany tax sugar? Send Facebook Twitter google+ Whatsapp Tumblr linkedin stumble Digg reddit Newsvine Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/2vXtA Should Germany introduce a sugar tax? Urging action on high-sugar food Foodwatch said that the food industry shoulders much of the blame for perpetuating the issue and has urged the German government to step in. “Of course it isn’t a problem if children eat sweets,” Foodwatch expert Oliver Huizinga emphasized. The… Read full this story
- Second Annual Macaroni Kid Surprise Family Play Day July 13, 2019
- Germans to build their base on coast for World Cup
- Making her own rules! Jill Duggar and her kids wear fun Halloween costumes - even though her evangelical parents BANNED the holiday and all things that glorify the 'demonic realm'
- Maurice Jones-Drew signs one-day contract, retires as a Jaguar
- Early Signing Day Discussion
- Why didn’t Day win a major sooner? Because it ain’t easy
- Deion Sanders delivers epic and intense Father’s Day post
- It’s Jason Day and everyone else at BMW Championship
- The Latest: German minister mum on details of planned attack
- Ohio Against The World: The story behind the Sugar Bowl sensation
German kids surpass 'sugar overshoot day' have 317 words, post on www.dw.com at December 8, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.