It is “full steam ahead” towards a free trade agreement with the EU by the end of 2020, according to one of Wales’ new MPs.Fay Jones defeated Liberal Democrat Jane Dodds in Brecon and Radnorshire and is one of 14 Welsh Tories heading to Westminster.The general election gave the party its best result in Wales since 1983. With a 78-seat majority, Ms Jones believes the prime minister has broken the Brexit deadlock.”It’s been a hard fought battle over the last few months and the prime minister has broken deadlock in Parliament,” she said.Ms Jones believes the EU withdrawal agreement already negotiated contains the “green light” to move on to trade talks. Tories claim big scalps in Wales Results of the 2019 general election in Wales What happens next with Brexit? Asked if this was possible by the end of 2020, she said: “It’s not like Canada (who took a number of years to negotiate a deal).”They were starting from a different regulatory framework.”We are a member state, stepping back from some regulations, staying close on others.”She said farmers in her rural community just wanted certainty – and that is what they could now give them, with free trade and no… Read full this story
- Johnson eyeing up a general election rather than a Brexit deal
- Boris Johnson and the Conservative Party are 'preparing to fight the next general election on the assumption Brexit has not happened' leaked campaign leaflets suggest
- Gibraltar to hold general election on eve of Brexit
- General Election 2019: Get ready for the populist onslaught
- Will the UK meet Michel Barnier's midnight Brexit deal deadline? And what will happen if no agreement has been hammered out before a crunch EU summit starts on Thursday?
- Election 2019: Will Jeremy Corbyn step down if he loses election? Latest news and polls
- Labour vows to give EU nationals vote in UK general elections
- General election ‘could CANCEL Christmas’: Civil Service chief Mark Sedwill 'warns a vote MUST be held by December 12 or No10 faces turfing pantomimes, parties and Nativity plays out of village halls and schools used as polling stations’
- Cameron warns Johnson must give ground if he wants a Brexit deal
- Foster: No shift in DUP stance on Brexit deal
General election 2019: 'Full steam ahead to Brexit deal' have 373 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at December 14, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.