Black holes that suck in and swallow wandering celestial bodies grow increasingly hungrier in the process while becoming “more deadly”, a physicist is quoted as saying by the Express. Alvaro Diez, who is getting his master’s degree in particle physics at Warsaw University, Poland, says black holes grow in mass and strength when they feed on stars and stray planets, explaining that when a celestial object falls into the black hole they become one, making the black hole heavier. “The final result is not exactly the sum all both masses before the collision because of losses due to radiation, friction and energy emissions, but it is still noticeable in most cases”, says Diez. However, according to the expert, the “strength” of a black hole depends only on its mass, so each time it swallows another object it becomes “bigger, stronger, more deadly”. When a planet or a star is swooped up by the vortex of the black hole, the collision releases a tremendous amount of energy, some of which, between 3 to 42 percent, will be dispersed back into space as a bright flash of light known as tidal disruptions. The force of these flashes of light depends on the… Read full this story
- ‘Watch out!’ Black hole could devour entire solar system and turn Earth to dust – VIDEO
- At Long Last, a Glimpse of a Black Hole
- Scientists discovered a new partial skeleton of pterosaur and promptly named it 'Butch'
- Quantum as a service: How to product-ize a hole in space and time
- Scientists observe mysterious cosmic web directly for first time
- 5 things to know for October 3: Impeachment, Iraq, B-17 crash, Brexit, economy
- This potential moon outside of the solar system isn't anything like ours
- The Andromeda galaxy has been binge eating smaller galaxies
- Here's the First-Ever Pic Of "Cosmic Web" Connecting All Galaxies - Futurism
- Neil deGrasse Tyson discusses science, movies
Frenzy-Feeding Black Holes Grow Even 'Deadlier' as They Swallow Stray Stars, Scientist Warns have 304 words, post on sputniknews.com at December 29, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.