Ed Sheeran has announced he is going on a break from music and all social media.
The 28-year-old made the announcement on Christmas via, via an Instagram statement captioned: 'BRB.'
The Perfect singer wrote: 'Hello all. Gonna go on another break again.
'The Divide era and tour changed my life in so many ways, but now it's all over it's time to go out and see some more of the world.
'I've been a bit non stop since 2017 so I'm just gonna take a breather to travel, write and read. I'll be off all social media until it's time to come back.
'To all my family and friends, see ya when I see ya – and to my fans, thank you for always being amazing, I promise to be back with some new music when the time is right and I've lived a little more to actually have something to write about.
'Lots of love x.'
He also changed his profile picture to 'BRB' written on a black background – essentially, an out of office reply.
Fans of the star jumped in to praise him for taking a well deserved break, while others left messages saying they would miss him.
To be fair, we doubt his existing tunes will disappear from the radio…
Ed has been dominating the charts since 2011, and in celebration of his work, the Official Charts Company have crowned him the UK's official number one artist of the decade while also honouring him with the official chart record breaker award.
The singer racked up 12 number ones, including Shape Of You and Thinking Out Loud, and spent 79 weeks at the top of the charts – so we reckon he's earned a break.
Ed was solidly on tour for the past two years, after beginning his Divide Tour on 16 March 2017, in Turin, Italy and ending on 26 August 2019 in Ipswich.
In that time, he also managed to squeeze in a wedding, getting married to Cherry Seaborn in January this year.
Let's hope this break is a bit more successful than his last attempt at some relaxation.
At his final Divide show, Ed told the crowd that he would be taking an 18-month hiatus after clocking up 260 shows, saying: 'As you may or may not know, I've been on the Divide tour for over two years now and this is the last day of the whole thing.
'There is something very bittersweet about it. I love that you guys are here and we are ending it in Ipswich. This is my last gig for probably 18 months.'
But a month later, he was back on stage as he made a surprise appearance at a Khalid gig.
Got a showbiz story?
- Ed Sheeran channels Love Actually with Elton John ahead of charity Christmas single WATCH
- Elton John, Ed Sheeran and Adele battle for this year’s Christmas number one – but could a very surprising act win?
- Ed Sheeran and Elton John beat Adele to Christmas number one favourite
- Elton John, Ed Sheeran Pay Tribute to Holiday Hits in ‘Merry Christmas’ Video
- BTS wins most awards at MTV Europe Music Awards, followed by Ed Sheeran
- Elton John brands Ed Sheeran a ‘little b******’ over near death incident
- Little Mix’s Jade Thirlwall in secret talks with record company of Ed Sheeran and Rita Ora after impressive solo music
- MAMA Awards Going Global: Ed Sheeran, Wanna One & Plans For Future U.S. Ceremony
- Arya Stark from Game of Thrones Launches her Own App to Revamp Social Media
- From Bella Poarch To A ‘Bridgerton’ Musical, Meet Forbes’ 30 Under 30 In Social Media
- trump: Donald Trump's social media venture seeks $1 billion raise: Sources
- How Bad Bunny and Olivia Rodrigo kicked Ed Sheeran and even Adele into touch to conquer Spotify and rake in MILLIONS
- Little Mix emotionally announce 'break' after decade together to 'work on other projects'
- From Mariah to Meme-mi: How a vocal icon became a social media maven
- Ed Sheeran and Elton John announce release date of their new Christmas single with interesting clip
- Little Mix announce break after Confetti tour to work on solo projects
- Ed Sheeran tests positive for Covid-19
- Alan Carr to host Royal Variety 2021 with Rod Stewart and Ed Sheeran on line-up
- Octi social media – everything to know
- Kylie Jenner shows off her Christmas tree in rare social media post after baby daddy Travis Scott’s Astroworld tragedy
Ed Sheeran announces break from music and social media to ‘live a little more’ have 833 words, post on metro.co.uk at December 24, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.