An early morning attack on an army checkpoint in northern Afghanistan on Tuesday killed at least seven Afghan soldiers, the defense ministry said.
The ministry said in a statement that the enemy” attack in Balkh province’s district of Dawlat Abad also wounded six other members of the security forces — three soldiers and three intelligence agents.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack but the wording of the statement indicated that the authorities blame the Taliban, who are active in the district. An investigation was underway, the statement added.
The Taliban now control or hold sway over practically half of Afghanistan but continue to stage near-daily attacks targeting Afghan and US forces, as well as government officials — even as they hold peace talks with a U.S. envoy tasked with negotiating an end to the 18-year conflict, America’s longest war.
Scores of Afghan civilians are also killed in the crossfire or by roadside bombs planted by militants.
On Monday, an American soldier was killed in combat in northern Kunduz province. The Taliban claimed they were behind a fatal roadside bombing that targeted American and Afghan forces.
- Taliban attack kills 21 Afghan soldiers
- NATO airstrike kills 5 Afghan soldiers; it was an accident, coalition says
- Taliban Attack 2nd Afghan City as US Envoy Says Deal Is Near
- 26 Afghan soldiers killed in Taliban assault
- Daesh attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people, injures more than 200
- Death Toll in Attack at Afghan Political Office Rises to 20
- Taliban attack on American charity’s residence in Kabul kills Afghan girl
- Iraqi security forces open fire on protesters, kill 14
- Iraqi defense minister says missile fell near military base, no damage
- Afghans Fear Trump's Taliban Move Means More Civilians Die
- 4 soldiers killed in car bomb blast outside Afghan army base in Kabul
- 2 soldiers killed in Houthi missile attack in northern Yemen: official
- Militant attack on army checkpoint in Sinai kills 12 Egyptian soldiers
- SAS troops played key role in US-led raids that killed ISIS kingpin Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, it emerges
- U.S. and allies warn Syria of more missile strikes if chemical attacks used again
- US Afghan peace envoy takes push for peace to Pakistan
- Ex-soldier blown up by IRA became suicidal due to "inhumane" benefits system
- Egyptian police identify terrorist in deadly car bomb attack in Cairo
- Taliban attack Afghan Parliament as lawmakers meet inside
- Stupidity Escalates Exquisitely In Earth Defense Force 5
Defense ministry: checkpoint attack kills 7 Afghan soldiers have 381 words, post on www.thehindu.com at December 24, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.