The writer and creator of the critically acclaimed TV miniseries “Chernobyl” on Wednesday asked tourists traveling to Pripyat, Ukraine, and its surroundings to treat it with the “respect for all who suffered and sacrificed” there. Mazin was responding to a recent trend of posting highly stylized portraits in what is known as the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, many of which have been decried as inappropriate, including one of a young woman in revealing lingerie. “If you visit, please remember that a terrible tragedy occurred there,” Mazin said. Particularly popular amongst Instagram users are Pripyat’s abandoned amusement park and the large pile of gas masks left behind by liquidators. Nearly 50,000 people lived in Pripyat at the time of the disaster Although no one is allowed to live in the 2,600 square kilometer (1,000 square mile) zone around the former Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, visiting the city of Chernobyl and the closer town of Pripyat is allowed under tightly controlled conditions with official guides. Tourism agencies have said that requests to visit the site have jumped 40% since the HBO and Sky co-produced miniseries premiered, according to Reuters news agency. The series has been noted by both critics and survivors of the… Read full this story
- Ask the Strategist: Help Me Find an Alternative to This Sold-Out Duvet Cover?
- Chernobyl, Ukraine: the nuclear option holiday
- Ukraine raises $785m to seal Chernobyl under new 'shell'
- 'It was anarchy': a family reflects on the Chernobyl disaster, 30 years on
- Chernobyl could be reinvented as a solar farm, says Ukraine
- 50 British tourists are being RELEASED from Tenerife coronavirus hotel... while remaining 118 are told they have to stay in quarantine
- Japan lifts evacuation order for town hit by Fukushima disaster
- Bushfire clean-up delays anger Kangaroo Island residents as businesses suffer from tourist losses
- Nick Clegg must be sacked to avoid disaster at 2015 election, senior Lib Dem warns
- Meteorological Department to install weather monitors at schools, ASI sites
'Chernobyl' creator asks tourists to show respect at disaster site have 318 words, post on www.dw.com at December 6, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.