Sen. Kamala Harris’ decision to drop out of the 2020 presidential race came as a new poll showed a majority of California Democrats wanted Harris to exit the race.
The poll, conducted by the Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies for The Times, showed that by 61% to 24%, likely Democratic primary voters in California thought Harris should quit the race.
A large majority of Harris’ own supporters wanted her to stay in the race, but her ’ support in the state had steadily slipped, and she was the first choice of only 7% of the state’s Democratic primary voters, according to the poll, which was conducted Nov. 21-27.
Judging by the second choices of her supporters, former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren would be the likely main beneficiaries of her withdrawal, at least in California, which holds its primary on March 3. About a third of likely California primary voters who picked Harris as their first-choice candidate named Biden as their second choice. About a quarter chose Warren, the poll found. Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., were next in line, both chosen as a second choice by about 14% of Harris voters.
The poll was conducted online in English and Spanish on Nov. 21-27 among 1,694 Californians considered likely to vote in the state’s upcoming Democratic presidential primary.
- Tom Steyer Wants You to Want Him to Be President
- The Democratic 2020 race
- Poll shows top Dems lead Trump in matchups
- Fundraising totals reveal five-way Dem race
- How Joe Biden Became the Democrats’ Anti-Busing Crusader
- Winners and Losers of the Democratic Debate, Night 2
- The Nooner for 05-02-19
- The Nooner for 05-23-19
- Meet the Democrats running for president — all 25 of them
- ‘Complete This Sentence: Donald Trump Wins Reelection If … ’
- Democratic debate 2019: What we learned
- Biden ‘Dated Himself,’ ‘Underperformed’—and ‘Was Eaten Alive’
- Trump seizes back the spotlight with Kim Jong Un cliffhanger
- ‘Big moment’: Trump waltzes into North Korea
- Letters: Trump's ignorance of military assets is beyond belief
- 2020 Democratic debates: How can candidates stand out?
- Democratic debates: Five things to look out for
- Trump ratings on economy start to slide
- China counterpunches on tariffs, recession fears grow
California voters wanted Kamala Harris to drop out of presidential race, poll finds have 353 words, post on www.latimes.com at December 3, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.