BBC bosses had to chop up a Christmas tree hours after it was put up — when elf and safety chiefs branded it unsafe.
Corporation executives then bungled again by summoning a van too small for the fir.
Workers spent two hours chopping it to pieces to fit in the van.
An insider said: “It was like a comedy sketch, everything went wrong. And what a waste of a perfectly decent tree.”
Staff spent hours decorating the tree at London’s Broadcasting House.
But despite the Health and Safety ruling the BBC have declared that they will replace the festive centre piece soon – despite it being in pieces.
most read in uk news
Woman, 25, stabbed to death in ‘mugging gone wrong’ as boy, 13, arrested
XMAS FAIR STABBING
Man seriously wounded in stabbing outside village Christmas fair in Kent
Bride-to-be with ‘perfect life’ killed herself after secret anxiety battle
Paedo publicist Max Clifford, 74, died in ‘freezing jail conditions’
NUMBER OF THE BEAST
Trader flogs £25k car number plate without saying it was paedo Savile’s
Teen, 18, killed after car crashed into tree just two weeks before Christmas
A BBC spokesman said: “The tree has been removed due to activity on the piazza this week. It will be replaced soon.”
It follows a Beeb health and safety gaffe last year that meant an episode of Celebrity Money For Not-hing had to be re-edited.
Chef Aldo Zilli’s chairs were turned into cutting boards. But a viewer said it broke rules that say food shouldn’t be in contact with “wood of unknown provenance”.
- GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]
- Corps replenishes fish habitat with recycled Christmas Trees
- Artesia trucking company delivers Christmas tree to White House
- Michigan spruce owners could provide 2019 Detroit Christmas tree
- Workers for DIA Contractor Strike Over Health, Safety Complaints
- Baker backs firing of former MBTA safety chief officer
- Workers remove trees posing safety risk at Slater Park
- NYCHA bosses take heat from residents over safety concerns
- Evacuation ordered in Evergreen over “public safety threat”
- A critical moment for Tropical Storm Dorian is just hours away
- Astronomers spotted a car-size asteroid just hours before impact