A nine-month-old baby girl has been killed by a cat after the pet fell asleep on her face and suffocated her, Ukrainian police have said.
Nine-month-old Alexandra had been left asleep in her pram in the back yard of 22-year-old mother Snezhana’s house while she did housework.
Snezhana, who lives in the Vinnytsia region of eastern Ukraine, around 125 miles from Kiev, came to check on the girl when she found a cat asleep on her face.
Mother Snezhana, 22, from eastern Ukraine, was doing housework when she put nine-month-old baby Alexandra outside in her pram
While Snezhana wasn’t looking, one of the family’s pet cats got into the pram and fell asleep on the girl’s face. By the time Snezhana realised what had happened, the girl wasn’t breathing
The cat jumped out of the pram and ran away, and Snezhana discovered that Alexandra wasn’t breathing.
The mother called her local paramedic and an ambulance but they could not save the baby, who died of asphyxia.
Halyna Zakharchuk, the village paramedic, said: ‘There was a smell of milk, a warm place, the cat got inside the pram to warm up.
‘The baby was well dressed, her arms were out. When we came, the baby was still warm… We found the baby in the state of clinical death.
‘I ran there, the ambulance arrived quickly. We could not help… we were trying to resuscitate her for 30 to 40 minutes.’
Local policeman Pavlo Darmorgrai said: ‘The mother saw the cat lying on the baby…sleeping on her head. The baby was already dead.
The family owns two cats, though it is not clear which one was responsible for the girl’s death
Police said the cats were likely attracted to the pram because it was warm and smelled of milk, before deciding to fall asleep there
‘The body was sent to forensic experts, an autopsy was performed. The preliminary opinion of the expert is that it was asphyxia.
‘There are no more injuries on the baby’s body.’
The baby was Snezhana’s only child with her husband Alexander.
The family had two cats, shown by the Ukrainian TSN News channel.
It was not clear which cat caused the tragedy.
Police say the death was ‘accidental’.
‘We are not taking any measures against the mother,’ said Darmorgrai.
‘We understand it is a huge psychological problem in the family now.’
Medic Halyna Zakharchuk said she spent 40 minutes trying to revive Alexandra, but her efforts proved to be in vain
- Raising my 17-month-old daughter with epilepsy: Singapore mum shares her story
- 10-Month-Old Baby Attacked, Killed by Family's Two Rottweilers
- Victoria's Secret model Emily DiDonato, 30, reveals she is pregnant with her first child adding the baby girl is due in December
- Bias for Boys Leads to Sale of Baby Girls in China
- Kristen Welker welcomes baby girl with husband John Hughes via surrogate after journalist revealed infertility struggles
- Mum who woke from coma knew instantly five-month-old IVF baby she had waited 5 years for had died in horror smash
- Husband 'begged' burglars as they strangled British woman in front of baby and killed dog at Greece home
- Gifts inspired by the upcoming arrival of Baby Girl Sussex
- Israel-Gaza conflict: Mother's grief after daughter, 11, killed in explosion
- Meet our caring cats and dogs - vote for your favourite
- Mum’s traumatic births made her hallucinate that her baby had died in his cot
- Celebrity babies born in 2021 so far – and pregnant stars who are due later in the year
- Caroline Crouch: Greek husband CONFESSES to suffocating British wife after she ‘vowed to leave with their baby’
- Lindsay Lohan's mom Dina Lohan tells Chrissy Teigen to 'learn and grow' after disturbing tweet about her daughter resurfaced
- Meghan and Harry ‘could hire army of nannies’ to help with Archie and new baby
- The Filipino mothers selling their children for online sexual abuse
- Chloe: The story of a stillborn baby
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court’s Feminist Icon, Is Dead at 87
- Man murders daughters, dumps bodies in sea after finding out about ex-wife's new relationship
- Mother, 20, murdered by burglars in front of baby while husband was tied up
Baby girl is killed by her cat: Mother finds nine-month-old daughter dead after pet went to sleep on the child's face as she had a nap and suffocated her have 704 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 3, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.