Alexandra Phillips launched a furious attack on the Conservatives for behaving like ‘feudal overlords’ after some hopefuls quit at the last moment to avoid splitting the Eurosceptic vote.
Mr Farage said there had been ‘thousands of phone calls and emails’ to prospective Brexit Party candidates telling them not to stand in return for jobs and peerages. Veteran Ann Widdecombe claimed she had been offered a role in EU negotiations to give up her push in Plymouth.
But the PM derided the idea that peerages had been dangled in front of Brexit Party politicians to try and get them to give the Tories a clear run in Labour marginals.
‘I am sure that conversations take place between politicians in all parties,’ Mr Johnson told BBC Radio 5 Live.
‘But certainly no-one has been offered a peerage. I can tell you that.’
Brexit Party MEP Alexandra Phillips launched a furious attack on the Conservatives for behaving like ‘feudal overlords’
Appearing on Question Time last night, Ms Phillips (right) raged at Tory chairman James Cleverly (third from left)
Appearing on Question Time last night, Ms Phillips – a close ally of Mr Farage – raged at Tory chairman James Cleverly.
‘What is under the Tory tree this Christmas? Is it a peerage? Is it penance?’ she swiped.
‘Have you been naughty or have you been nice? They have been interfering in our selection of candidates, our placing of candidates.
‘They have been incentivising people to step down. It has been interference on an industrial scale.
‘They have been acting like feudal overlords, frankly. They think that suffrage is something that’s universal if it just applies to their party.
‘What are they afraid of that they have had to go after thousands of phone calls to individual candidates from the Brexit Party to say: ‘Stand down, you can get this’ or ‘Stand down, or this’.’
‘Leave us alone. If you can’t win on your own merits, then really you shouldn’t be a chairman of a party in this country.
‘Go to Venezuela. This is a multi-party state and you guys have to get used to that.’
Mr Farage’s vented his anger after the nominations deadline of 4pm passed last night.
Brexit Party candidates in Dudley North and Hove declared immediately afterwards that they would not be standing – meaning Mr Farage could not field a replacement.
In a video posted on Twitter he said that he, along with eight ‘senior figures’ in his party, were offered peerages.
He also tweeted: ‘Even Boris Johnson’s Chief Strategic Adviser Sir Edward Lister is calling our candidates and offering them jobs if they withdraw. The system is corrupt and broken.’
Boris Johnson derided the idea that peerages had been dangled in front of Brexit Party politicians to try and get them to give the Tories a clear run in Labour marginals
Nigel Farage (pictured at a rally in Grimsby yesterday) said there had been ‘thousands of phone calls and emails’ to prospective Brexit Party candidates telling them not to stand in the election in return for jobs and peerages
Mr Farage had confirmed earlier that he will not stand down any more candidates to help the Tories win a majority.
A Conservative spokesman said: ‘Neither the Conservative Party, nor its officials have offered Brexit Party candidates jobs or peerages.’
Brexit Party chairman Richard Tice said: ‘Since our decision to stand down more than half our candidates for the good of this country, we have been dismayed by the behaviour of senior Conservative party figures.
‘Our people have been offered jobs and titles to stand down as candidates on the last day of nominations, as part of a concerted campaign to undermine our party.
‘We made a unilateral gesture which should prevent a second referendum and keep Boris Johnson in office.
‘We are proud and grateful that our candidates have resisted these distasteful overtures and stood firm.’
A Tory source said: ‘Nigel can’t deliver Brexit, but he could end up blocking it. His outburst is a result of this fact dawning on him.’
- Brexit Party Leader Threatens to Unseat Tory MPs Who Oppose Northern Ireland Bill
- Brexit: 'No deal' Tory leadership hopefuls boosted by MPs' vote
- It's beginning to look a lot like lockdown: London's Oxford Street is deserted and streets stand empty after a day when commuters still packed the Tubes as month of anti-Covid restrictions begins
- Brexit news LIVE – Govt vows to press ahead with Brexit bill despite House of Lords rejecting law-breaking powers
- 'A plague on both your houses!' Disillusioned voters hammer Tories AND Labour in local elections while the Lib Dems praise 'awesome' gains as main parties lose hundreds of seats and furious voters spoil their ballots amid Brexit backlash
- Michel Barnier and UK negotiator Lord Frost get into amazing Twitter row over post-Brexit food exports as Justice Secretary Robert Buckland says he WILL resign if UK breaks international law 'in unacceptable way'
- Johnson's Aide's Resignation: Tory Government Was in Turmoil Since Start of Pandemic, Observer Says
- House of Lords Blocks Boris Johnson’s ‘Donald Trump-Like’ Brexit Bill
- Philip Hammond won't rule out voting to bring down a no-deal Tory government
- PM Johnson Top Aide's Resignation May Trigger Profound Changes in No 10 Power Dynamics, Prof Says
'The Conservatives have been acting like feudal overlords!' Brexit Party rages at Tories for trying to make its candidates stand down as Ann Widdecombe says she was offered role in EU negotiations to stand down have 918 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 15, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.