A Syrian artist who fled the civil war has criticised BP’s sponsorship of the British Museum’s exhibition Troy: Myth and Reality, saying her work was being used to “artwash” what she described as the “impacts and crimes” of the oil company. A film of Reem Alsayyah’s Queens of Syria – a modern retelling of Euripides’ The Trojan Women by a group of Syrian refugees, which was directed by Zoe Lafferty – is included in the show. The pair are the latest artists to call on major British arts institution to end their partnerships with BP. In an open letter to the British Museum trustees and its director, Hartwig Fischer, Alsayyah and Lafferty said BP’s sponsorship of the event was more egregious because, they allege, the company “has directly profited from the widespread destruction and displacement of people like the 13 women who formed the cast for our play. And yet you have reached the conclusion that its logo should brand an exhibition highlighting exactly the issues BP contributes to causing.” The pair said it was devastating to have the brand associated with their work, adding that it was “no secret that BP backed the second Gulf war, eyeing opportunities to… Read full this story
- Banksy fake banknote artwork joins British Museum collection
- British Museum to hold its first Troy exhibition
- British Museum chief: taking the Parthenon marbles was 'creative'
- British Museum given more than 500 'exquisite' ivory figures
- British Museum shines light on Assyrian 'king of the world'
- China Tells British Museum to Return Elgin Marbles Historical Treasures to Greece
- US-backed Syrian forces launch attack on final Isis stronghold
- North Korea calls Joe Biden a ‘rabid dog’ who should be ‘beaten to death with a stick’ in latest attack on Trump’s rival
- Bolton Claims Iran Was "Almost Certainly" Behind Latest Attacks on UAE Ships
- Tucker Carlson’s Latest Attack on Ilhan Omar Is a Pack of Racist Lies
Syrian artist latest to attack BP sponsorship of British Museum have 318 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 18, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.