For all the uncertainty surrounding the streaming wars – even for a dominant company like Netflix, which is still hemorrhaging billions of dollars – there’s reason to believe that Disney+ is a safe bet. Even if every one of its original launch titles landed with a thud, Disney just needed to crack open the vault and allow viewers to dive, Scrooge McDuck-like, into its riches: 80 years of peerless animation, from early classics like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Bambi to renaissance titles like The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast to recent hits like Frozen and Moana. And that’s to say nothing of Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and a mule who kicks 100-yard field goals. Yet The Walt Disney Company has a longstanding Walt Disney problem, and for Disney+, the answer so far has been to mix propaganda with gentle disclaimers. While the new documentary series The Imagineering Story plays up Disney’s innovation and meticulousness in developing the company’s theme parks, the retrograde elements in some of his animated films (the singing crows in Dumbo, the “stay with your own kind” sentiment of The Jungle Book, the Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp, the “What… Read full this story
- Disney unveils new streaming service that aims to take on Netflix
- Dumbo review: Tim Burton's pixel-thin Disney remake fails to make the heart soar
- The Disney myth: how bad live-action films, not animation, saved Walt's empire
- MNH denies pocketing funds from Donny's legacy
- Hugh Masekela: Google Doodle honours 'father of South African jazz'
- Man nearly has arm torn off by a lion after sticking his hand into its enclosure in South Africa
- After taking on Fox studio, Disney looks to next chapter
- Watch: Full trailer for Disney's remake of The Lion King
- New Aladdin trailer at last reveals the Disney classic's songs
- Disney’s Frozen musical will open in London’s West End in 2020 and the trailer looks amazing
Song of the South: the difficult legacy of Disney's most shocking movie have 323 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 19, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.