SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) — This year’s Black Friday was the biggest ever for online sales, as fewer people hit the stores and shoppers rang up $7.4 billion in transactions from their phones, computers and tablets.
That’s just behind the $7.9 billion haul of last year’s Cyber Monday, which holds the one-day record for online sales, according to Adobe Analytics. Adobe measures sales at 80 of the top 100 U.S. online retailers.
Adobe expects online sales to jump to another record this Cyber Monday with an estimated total of $9.4 billion. Much of the shopping is happening on people’s phones, which accounted for 39% of all online sales Friday and 61% of online traffic.
Shoppers have been looking for “Frozen 2” toys in particular. Other top purchases included sports video games and Apple laptops.
All the online shopping may have helped thin the crowd at malls on Black Friday.
Traffic at stores fell 2.1% on Black Friday from a year ago, according to preliminary figures from RetailNext. It tracks in-store activity at tens of thousands of locations, including specialty apparel retailers, big-box stores and mall-based stores. The drop in traffic helped lead to a 1.6% dip in sales.
Online and in-store shopping aren’t always completely separate, though. Many people buy things online, only to head to the store to pick them up. Such sales surged 43.2% on Black Friday from a year ago, according to Adobe.
This holiday shopping season may be the most harried in years because it’s the shortest since 2013. Thanksgiving this year fell on the last Thursday in November — the latest possible date it could be.
Much is riding on the success of the holiday season’s sales. The U.S. economy is still growing steadily, but gains have slowed since its sizzling start to the year. Economists say strong spending by households is helping to bolster growth and make up for weak confidence among businesses given all the uncertainties about the U.S.-China trade war and other factors.
© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report
- Just one in 20 Black Friday ‘deals’ are cheapest on the day, Which? claims
- Get Forza Horizon 4 for $25 Black Friday price and race across England
- Dow closes UP 1,000 points as Trump promises he will be 'going big' with stimulus to fight economic pain from coronavirus after Wall Street had its worst day since 1987's Black Monday
- Coronavirus causes chaos in the entertainment industry: BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend is CANCELLED as Celine Dion leads the stars in postponing gigs and London's West End is left empty
- This is just the beginning! Britain's streets, trains, pubs, theatres and clubs are set to stay deserted for weeks as Boris Johnson announces Britain is shutting down and all non-essential social contact is banned for three months
- Box Office Fades To Black As Coronavirus Shuts Down 4K North American Theaters Into May: Where The Studios Stand & What’s Next?
- We need a Big Data effort to find a COVID-19 cure, says pioneering geneticist
- What you need to know about coronavirus on Monday, March 23
- ‘Black Widow’ No Longer Opening May 1 Due To Coronavirus Fears & Exhibition Shutdown
- Lewis Capaldi hits back at critics after going ahead with his planned Scotland show despite coronavirus pandemic and ban on mass gatherings
- Napalm Records Launches Online Hub to Support Acts Affected by Coronavirus
- 2018 will be the year 4K TV goes big, but HDR still lags behind
- US and Canada box office plunges to a 20-year low amid coronavirus pandemic, with $56million weekend ticket sales worse than after 9/11 as theaters reduce capacity for social distancing
- Disney to launch streaming service as online viewing figures surge
- Looking for your Monday to Friday workwear inspiration? Here are power-dressing tips for the boss lady in you
- Steelers place franchise tag on Bud Dupree, keeping pass rusher from hitting free agency
- As Gay Bars Close, Drag Shows Go Online
- Tech 2017: BBC News Online's biggest technology stories
- Edtech thrives during coronavirus-hit exam season in India
- 2018 Audi A8 Has Lasers, Foot Massagers, And A Big Price Tag
Online Black Friday Sales Hit Record $7.4 Bn Setting Up Big Cyber Monday have 657 words, post on sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com at November 30, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.