Tim Cook on Angela Merkel ‘Raised in an era of repression, stagnation and surveillance in East Germany, she has not wasted one breath of free air’ Tim Cook has been the CEO of Apple since 2011. Here, he nominates German chancellor Angela Merkel. These are challenging times, and naysayers may tell you to measure this decade by its darkest moments. Angela Merkel, with her quiet strength, dignity and abiding faith in the free world, shows us every day why we should choose optimism instead. Raised in an era of repression, stagnation and surveillance in East Germany, she has not wasted one breath of free air. She has spent her career in public life keeping alive the idea that we are bigger than our differences, that shared belief in powerful values can bind us closer than skin colour, or language, or national history. She has been an unshakable cornerstone of the European project. She has been a visionary advocate for carrying forward the fundamental right to privacy into the digital age. She has been a steady economic hand during years of crisis and rising uncertainty. And she has shown steadfast commitment to the values of freedom, inclusivity and the rule of… Read full this story
- George Clooney injured in scooter accident in Italy
- George Clooney marriage sealed with civil ceremony in Venice
- George Clooney to receive Golden Globes' Cecil B. DeMille award
- Winslet leads early Golden Globes winners as Gervais shocks
- Kanye West stirs up controversy with nude celebrities in 'Famous'
- Maldives president unhurt in speedboat blast, wife, aides injured: official
- Yazidi survivor demands justice for women raped in Vietnam War
- Art imitates life? Kim Kardashian films cameo for jewel heist movie
- Huge rallies led by students demand tighter US gun controls
- Vietnamese team among top seven at Young Social Entrepreneurs
My changemaker of the decade, by Amal Clooney, Solange Knowles, Caitlyn Jenner and more have 290 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 23, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.