A fashion brand has withdrawn an outfit from sale after critics said it looked like a concentration camp uniform worn by victims of the Holocaust .
Luxury Spanish fashion house Loewe launched the outfit on November 14 as part of its William De Morgan capsule collection.
Some items in the collection are being sold for upwards of £4,000, CNN reports.
On Friday, fashion industry watchdog, Diet Prada, cited similarities to the concentration camp uniform, which also had vertical-stripes.
“Unable to see anything but concentration camp uniforms in this $1,840 ensemble,” Diet Prada wrote on their Instagram . "There's not actually much left to the imagination when the resulting look is so uncannily disturbing."
Loewe apologised via Instagram Stories and has now removed the product from its website.
The statement read: "It was brought to our attention that one of our looks featured in a magazine and part of our Arts and Crafts ceramicist William De Morgan could be misconstrued as referring to one of the most odious moments in the history of mankind.
"It was absolutely never our intention and we apologise to anyone who might feel we were insensitive to sacred memories. The products featured have been removed from our commercial offering."
Before it was removed the item was advertised as a "Stripe Workwear Jacket White/Black" and cost (£740), according to the New York Post .
It isn't the first time a clothing brand has come under fire for releasing clothing allegedly similar to the Holocaust uniform.
In 2014, Spanish brand Zara apologised for a stripey T-shirt with a yellow star on it.
The company said it was inspired by "sheriff's starts from classic Westerns", but others said it bore a resemblance to the Star of David.
- 'Do you think the camp uniforms will be striped, like the ones at Auschwitz': Food Network host Alton Brown is forced to apologize for joking about the Holocaust in tweets about the state of the country
- EXCLUSIVE: Incensed Over Abortion Law Snub, Georgia Lawmakers Scorch Disney For Thanking Chinese Unit Responsible For Concentration Camps
- ‘Setback for the Free World’: EU Trade Deal with Communist China Draws Harsh Criticism
- N. Ram interviews Sri Lanka's President Mahinda Rajapaksa
- The flags flown by the Capitol invaders revealed: One represented a mythical country ruled by frog-headed deity, another shows the Kraken in support of Sidney Powell and many more backed armed militia
- DHS bars Dem staffers from visiting border facilities after 'rude' and 'disruptive' behavior
- To love or to hate Bratislava (from our archive)
- IGP warns SARS boss, CPs, others over operatives’ misconduct
- I turned down Bobby Kennedy, says Joan Collins... and Warren Beatty WAS forceful in the feathers! Nothing is off limits as Dame Joan joins her friend PIERS MORGAN for a simply riotous lunch
- How accurate IS Netflix's Bridgerton? From high society biracial families to a black Queen, men trying to avoid having children and women clueless about sex, Femail separates fact from fiction in the hit Regency romp
- Arcadia goes bust: Sir Philip Green's retail group enters administration with 13,000 jobs at brands including TopShop and Burton on the line and a '£350m pension black hole' - but shops stay open for now
- Ferne McCann shows off her lithe legs in sexy knee-high boots while her jungle bestie Vicky Pattison goes for girly glam... after talking all things I'm A Celeb on This Morning
- The World's Billionaires: The Top 100 Richest People in the World
- How the world reacted to US Capitol pro-Trump protest
- Portrait of the tiger Ambode rode (3)
- How Knight is fighting the internet’s “public health crisis”
- Salvation Army offers charity to donors, and volunteers
Loewe pulls outfit after critics liken it to concentration camp uniforms have 612 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at November 25, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.