Boris Johnson made only “placebo promises” to free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and is responsible for putting more British Iranian dual nationals in the jails of Tehran, her husband Richard Ratcliffe claims in a bitter letter to the prime minister. The accusation was made in a private letter sent by Ratcliffe to Johnson 100 days ago, seeking a meeting alongside his daughter, Gabriella, to discuss his wife’s three-and-a-half-year imprisonment. Ratcliffe received nothing more than an acknowledgement from Downing Street, and has now released its content. In the letter, he accuses Johnson and his allies of trying to defend his own political reputation “by muddying the waters around his wife’s case. The deflections informed months of propaganda, broadcast on Iranian TV for Nazanin to see from the walls of her cell”. He demands to know why, as foreign secretary, Johnson did not follow through on a promise briefed to the rightwing press in 2017 that he would find a way to repay the £400m debt that the UK government acknowledges it owes, stemming from an arms deal struck with Iran in 1975. The repayment is widely seen as the single biggest cause of Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s prolonged imprisonment. Ratcliffe wrote: “It remains unclear why you… Read full this story
- Did Black People Own Slaves?
- ‘Quit Being Spineless About Doing—and Defending—the Work We Do,’ Says Journalist Leonard Pitts Jr.
- TV Execs Don't Have to Say 'Lose Weight or You're Fired': It's Implied
- 'I'm in the mood all the time!' Suzanne Somers, 73, gets VERY candid about her passionate sex life with her husband Alan, 83 - revealing they both take a weekly 'sex shot' that helps them make love TWICE a day
- Detroit Free Press’ Stephen Henderson Out After Harassment Investigation
- Trump Treated Sgt. La David Johnson the Way America Has Always Treated Black Soldiers
- 1,000 pages of damnation: Official report into Grenfell Tower disaster says systemic failures in fire chiefs' 'stay put' advice led to MORE deaths and raises prospect of manslaughter charges for brigade bosses
- Why Did Malcolm X Go to Oxford?
- In Whose Garden Did the Harlem Renaissance Grow?
- City Council Speaker Corey Johnson Wants To 'Get Sh*t Done'
Johnson 'did not keep word' to free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, says husband have 353 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 29, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.