‘In every major economic downturn in US history, the ‘villains’ have been the ‘heroes’ during the preceding boom,” said the late, great management guru Peter Drucker. I cannot help but wonder if that might be the case over the next few years, as the United States (and possibly the world) heads toward its next big slowdown. Downturns historically come about once every decade, and it has been more than that since the 2008 financial crisis. Back then, banks were the “too-big-to-fail” institutions responsible for our falling stock portfolios, home prices and salaries. Technology companies, by contrast, have led the market upswing over the past decade. But this time around, it is the big tech firms that could play the spoiler role. You wouldn’t think it could be so when you look at the biggest and richest tech firms today. Take Apple. Warren Buffett says he wished he owned even more Apple stock. (His Berkshire Hathaway has a 5% stake in the company.) Goldman Sachs is launching a new credit card with the tech titan, which became the world’s first $1tn market-cap company in 2018. But hidden within these bullish headlines are a number of disturbing economic trends, of which Apple… Read full this story
- 20 ways Sen. Warner thinks the US could crack down on Big Tech
- How one senator wants the US to crack down on Big Tech
- Big tech has too much monopoly power – it's right to take it on
- Apple, Amazon, and the rest of Big Tech all have a lot to learn from the Green New Deal
- Ten years on from the financial crash, we need to get ready for another one
- Should I quit my big-tech job to join a startup?
- Editorial: Remove Big Tech's boot from neck of local news
- Ten years after the financial crash, the timid left should be full of regrets
- Trump and Democratic rivals love to rip Big Tech companies, but their campaigns pay them millions
- Why it’s high time we regulated Big Tech
How big tech is dragging us towards the next financial crash have 333 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 8, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.