Alex Morgan, who recently announced she was pregnant with her first child, is still hoping to be able to represent the U.S. during the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo next summer.
Morgan and her husband, MLS player Servando Carrasco, announced they were expecting their first child in April. The 2020 Olympics begin July 24, 2020.
“I hope to get back on the field as soon as possible,” Morgan told USA Today on Wednesday. “After having a healthy baby, I want to get back with the national team and look forward to playing in Tokyo.”
Morgan is coming off another World Cup victory over the summer. She told the newspaper she believes she can come back and compete at the same level after she gives birth.
“There are so many women that have been able to come back to their respective sport after pregnancy and continue to have a successful family while playing the sport that they love at the highest level,” Morgan said.
She added: “I plan to follow in those footsteps and be one of those women who have a family and carry my daughter around as I’m going to the next city to play. And I still want to continue to enjoy the sport that I’ve been playing for all my life.”
Morgan won the Silver Boot during the World Cup, scoring six goals during the tournament – only one behind her teammate and Golden Boot winner Megan Rapinoe.
- Chief Investment Officer Slams Tesla as ‘Hope Stock’: ‘It’s Just not Real’
- Meet the Carousing, Harmonica-Playing Texan Who Just Won a Nobel for his Cancer Breakthrough
- Reconstruction and robots: can Tokyo 2020 live up to 1964’s Olympic legacy?
- Fujitsu wants to bring AI judging to Tokyo 2020
- Kawhi Leonard to skip Olympic mini-camp, but DeMar DeRozan will be there
- Kawhi Leonard to skip Olympic mini-camp
- YouTube Music vs. Google Play Music: Which should you use?
- Can Tokyo’s efficient rail system handle Olympic strain?
- Ryan Lochte suspended 14 months for using IV to inject vitamins
- SEGA Is Bringing An Olympic-Themed Sonic Title To Mobile In 2020
- Tokyo 2020 organisers cut crowds at sailing events over tsunami risk
- Out of this World Series: NASA astronauts aboard the ISS share video of them playing baseball on the ship
- What Democrats running for president in 2020 have said about big tech
- Hope Hicks DENIES knowing about cash payments to silence Stormy Daniels and Playboy model before 2016 election during heated congressional session - as Trump blasts Democrats for putting her 'through hell'
- Olympic medalist figure skater Denis Ten stabbed to death in Kazakhstan
- If This Is Really Who’s Playing Batgirl, We Will Be Beyond Pumped
- Conan O’Brien Can’t Dance, Can Review Just Dance 4 [Video]
- Trump's 2020 campaign is secretly working with a company run by former Cambridge Analytica employees
- Nolte: 2020 Poll Collapse Forced Elizabeth Warren to Admit ‘I’m Not a Person of Color’
- Media faces bureaucratic hurdles before Beijing Olympics
Alex Morgan hopes to play in 2020 Olympics, just three months after childbirth have 548 words, post on www.foxnews.com at November 8, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.