Seven people were killed and seven injured when a car bomb detonated near the airport and the Afghan Interior Ministry headquarters in Afghanistan’s capital of Kabul on Wednesday. Photos shared on social media showed a giant white plume of smoke rising from the area of the explosion. What we know so far: Nasrat Rahimi, a spokesman for the interior ministry, said the blast occured in the Qasaba area in city police district 15. Rahimi said the number of casualties could rise. The target of the attack was not immediately clear. An investigation is underway at the scene. No one has immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. Fragile peace The blast came one day after Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced that Kabul would release three high-ranking Taliban prisoners in an apparent prisoner swap with Western hostages who were kidnapped by the insurgents in 2016. The Taliban prisoners include Anas Haqqani, who was seized in 2014 and whose older brother is the deputy Taliban leader and head of the Haqqani network. Watch video 02:32 Share US: Fight against the Taliban Send Facebook Twitter google+ Whatsapp Tumblr linkedin stumble Digg reddit Newsvine Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3QlmS US: Fight against the Taliban Stalled talks Over the… Read full this story
- Thursday, September 26, 2019 - The Christian Science Monitor Daily
- What the Taliban are telling themselves about war and peace
- The GOP's new favorite Arab leader
- Can Jeb Bush escape his brother's legacy in Iraq?
- Syrian troops retake Palmyra Castle from ISIS, state media report
- Saudi anti-terror coalition challenges U.S. role in Middle East
- Amnesty report: ISIS armed with U.S. weapons
- Along a Road of Sorrow, a Toddler Lost Her Name, Her Family and Her Life
- As Peace Talks With The Taliban Collapse, Afghan Women Demand To Be Heard
- Unreported terror attacks? Here are more than 200 articles on USA TODAY covering White House's list
Afghanistan: Several dead after Kabul car bomb blast have 310 words, post on www.dw.com at November 13, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.