It’s October which means it’s almost time for the clocks to go back and yes, it’s time to celebrate because that means longer in bed.
Changing our clocks means it’s officially the end of British Summer Time, meaning we are in for earlier sunsets and darker evenings.
It’s not all doom and gloom though as it also means earlier sunrises for those out and about first thing.
The date shifts each year so make sure you aren’t caught out this October when the clocks go back.
When do the clocks go back in 2019?
In the UK the clocks go forward one hour at 1am on the last Sunday in March, and back one hour at 2am on the last Sunday in October.
The date for the clocks going back in the UK at the end of summer 2019 will be October 27 – with the shift taking place at 2am on a Sunday morning.
This means you will need to put your clock backward by one hour.
Most mobiles phones and radio-controlled clocks will do this automatically.
How can I help myself remember to change the clocks?
One key phrase should do the trick: ‘spring forward, fall back ‘.
When we enter spring on the last weekend in March the clocks “spring” forward, but on the final weekend in October the clocks “fall” back an hour for the arrival of autumn.
Why do we change our clocks?
The concept of daylight savings was first introduced by the Germans during World War One to cut down on the use of artificial lighting and the burning of valuable coal.
In the UK a man called William Willett developed the idea of British Summer Time in 1907 to encourage people to get up earlier in the day and have more hours of daylight to work in.
He died before The Summer Time Act of 1916 was passed by Parliament and the first day of British Summer Time on May 21, 1916.
Will my mobile phone change time automatically and update?
It is more than likely that your phone will do the work for you. Apple iPhones, iPad and Macs update automatically – just check you’ve turned on ‘set automatically’ in your ‘date and time’ settings.
The same goes for all smartphones so you wont need to worry about changing it for your alarm that morning.
Mobile phone network operators also change times accordingly, so you shouldn’t need to worry.
You’ll probably need to change the time in your car and on some appliances.
- Best sunrise wake-up light alarm clocks 2019
- Doomsday Clock 2019: World Remains on Verge of Catastrophe With Simultaneous Threats of Nuclear Weapons and Climate Change
- 2019: Nigeria’s year of Zayed
- Doomsday Clock 2019 puts us just 2 minutes from 'destroying our world'
- Doomsday Clock 2019: How close are we to midnight?
- Doomsday Clock 2019: 2 minutes to midnight
- When Does the Time Change? Daylight Saving Time 2019 Starts Tonight
- More Money for Students, Mothers and Entrepreneurs – Here Are the Highlights of the Government’s Budget Plan For 2019
- 2019 BMW M2 Competition Puts Out 405 Horsepower
- 2019 Honda PCX150 revealed for US market, starts from USD 3,699