brexit countdown_bg Created with Sketch. Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn were both battling rebellions within their own parties today as they sought to win enough backing for a snap general election. Mr Johnson is facing a growing Tory backlash over the prospect of holding an election before Brexit is resolved. Many of the party’s MPs are deeply sceptical that the Conservatives will be able to win a majority at a snap poll – a point they have conveyed to Number 10. And many of Mr Corbyn’s MPs are set to vote against any move to support Mr Johnson’s wish, fearing an electoral disaster. However, in a possible sign he could whip them to back a fixed-term parliament act (FTPA) motion next week, one of his most loyal frontbenchers said they would vote for an election as soon as possible. France wants the UK out of the EU within 15 days French president Emmanuel Macron is leading a group of EU rebels who want a Brexit extension of as little as 15 days after Boris Johnson was forced by MPs to hand control to Brussels. EU leaders are discussing today whether to grant Britain a short or long extension – with a… Read full this story
- Sacked Tory Julian Lewis accuses Boris Johnson of 'improper' bid to seize power over intelligence committee with No10 'stooge' Chris Grayling - and says long-awaited report into Russian electoral interference will be published in DAYS
- MP Julian Lewis is kicked OUT of Tory party for 'working with Labour and the opposition' after he beat Boris Johnson's pick Chris Grayling to become chairman of Intelligence and Security Committee - but rivals brand it 'psychopath politics'
- Queen approves Boris Johnson's request to shut down Parliament for a month
- So much for the Boris Bounce! Tories LOSE Brecon by-election to Lib Dems in the first setback for new Prime Minister Johnson as his Commons majority is cut to just ONE after record 60% turn-out
- 'We CANNOT lie about our history': Furious Boris swipes at Sadiq Khan for boarding over Churchill's statue as London Mayor says he will CARRY ON covering up the capital's monuments
- Tories CUT UP their membership cards as party splits over face masks... while Michael Gove pops to Pret without wearing one despite saying it's 'basic good manners' to do so - before they become mandatory from July 24
- Julian Lewis MP SACKED from Tory party by Boris Johnson for colluding with Labour and SNP to land a top job
- Social distancing will 'continue for a long period of time' warns England's top medic Professor Chris Whitty - in blow for Boris Johnson's 'over optimistic' aim of getting life back to normal by Christmas
- Letter signed by 1,500 paediatricians demands Boris Johnson publish a clear plan for getting children back to school before generation of pupils are left 'scarred for life'
- Empty offices are killing our town centres, warns Boris Johnson: PM orders British workers to return to their desks to help save the economy as homeworking wreaks havoc on nation's finances
'We could be stuffed like Christmas turkeys': Tory ministers warn Boris Johnson over his 'Grinch-like' bid for a December election as Labour finally looks set to back PM's call for a snap vote have 495 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 24, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.