Britain was last night hit by freezing overnight conditions and temperatures are expected to tumble to bone-chilling conditions on Monday evening as well. With the UK already seeing snowfall over the higher ground in some parts of the country, the Met Office has forecast more snow through November. In their forecaster from Monday, November, 11 to Monday, November 25, the national weather service predicted: “Snow possible at times on high ground in the north”.
The long-range weather forecast read: “Through this period confidence is low. However, unsettled conditions look more likely, giving showers or longer spells of rain, with snow possible at times on high ground in the north.
“Some more settled spells are possible, with driest conditions most likely to be in the north and northwest of the UK.
“Through mid to late November we may see a change to more frequent west or southwesterly winds with wetter conditions in the west and drier spells in the east.
“Although temperatures may be below average at first, they are expected to become near average through mid to late November, with more in the way of mild spells.”
The latest weather forecast charts also shows bitterly cold Arctic air sweep southwards towards Britain towards the end of the first full week of November.
According to WxCharts, the bone-chilling air start to push towards Britain on Friday, November 7.
But, the Met Office has accepted “when looking at forecasts beyond five days into the future the chaotic nature of the atmosphere”, readings became more difficult to predict.
Their website reads: “Therefore whilst we can still forecast the general feel of the weather to a relatively high level of accuracy using our ensemble models, it becomes harder to offer local detail to as high a level of accuracy as our shorter range forecasts.”
It comes as the UK is bracing for another bitterly cold night, after temperatures fell below 0C on Sunday night and into Monday.
Some forecasters have warned of thermometers tumbling as the UK moves into November, with much colder weather expected.
Exacta Weather forecaster James Madden said: “We are about to see some widespread frosts as we go through the end of October and into November, and odds are now favourable for some early shots of much colder weather as we go through the second half of autumn.
DON’T MISS: UK frost alert: What causes frost on your car? [INSIGHT] UK weather forecast: Temperatures to plunge as Atlantic storm hits [MAPPED] BBC Weather: Carol Kirkwood warns of freezing temperatures in UK [LATEST]
“There is a growing risk of some significant snow events as low pressure pushing in from the Atlantic clashes with colder air over the UK, especially when there has been a harsh frost.
“The risk of snow will be significant over higher ground although there will be a chance of wintry weather to lower levels.
“Colder weather has been a scarcity at this time of year over the past few years, this autumn could bring a change for some much colder weather.”
Leading bookmakers have even slashed odds on this year seeing a record-breaking winter, with heavy snowfall.
Alex Apati of Ladbrokes said: “Punters dreaming of a White Christmas look as though they’ll get their wish in what could be a record-breaking winter on the weather front.”
The bookmaker makes it 10/11 for snow to fall anywhere in the UK on Christmas Day and 5/2 for this winter to go down as the coldest on record.
Coral’s John Hill added: “With snowfall predicted to fall in some parts of the UK later this week, punters are knocking us over to back a White Christmas this year.
“As ever without White Christmas location betting, the Scottish and northern cities in the UK always have shorter odds.
“But we are taking money on cities across the whole of the UK this year.”
- UK weather forecast: Britain to bake in 15C heatwave before snow hits
- UK weather forecast – 80 flood warnings in place as villages cut off for days
- UK weather forecast – ‘Arctic swell’ to bring -9C coldest night of autumn with MORE flooding feared this week
- UK weather forecast – More than 100 flood alerts across Britain as villages are cut off for days and more storms hit
- UK weather forecast – ‘Arctic swell’ to bring -9C coldest night of autumn this week with MORE flooding feared
- UK weather forecast: Snow to slam Britain after -9C night - will it hit near you?
- UK weather forecast: Snow and ice to hit before rain swamps flood-ravaged towns
- UK weather forecast: Heavy rain to bring further flood misery with a week's worth tonight
- UK weather forecast – Flood alerts issued across the UK today as more than two inches of rainfall drenches Britain
- UK weather forecast – More flood alerts issued across Britain as more than two inches of rainfall drenches nation
- UK weather forecast: Half a month’s rain to fall TODAY with ‘danger’ flood warnings issued from London to Scotland
- UK weather forecast – More than two inches of rainfall drenches Britain as flood alerts issued across nation
- UK weather forecast: Flood-hit farm completely stranded with more downpours on way
- UK weather forecast: Temperatures to plunge in early winter frost before mini heatwave
- UK weather forecast – Half a month’s rain to fall TOMORROW with ‘danger’ flood warnings issued from London to Scotland
- UK weather forecast: Typhoon Hagibis 'to trigger washouts and gales in Britain'
- UK weather forecast: Flood chaos continues with -5C freeze to follow 'wettest autumn'
- UK weather: Thermometers to reach 30C as Britain's heat wave brings hottest May for 170 years
- UK snow: Why is my train cancelled in cold weather?
- UK weather forecast: Met Office issues severe weather warning for ice
UK snow forecast: Britain braces for bone-chilling system to bring snow in just two-weeks have 945 words, post on www.express.co.uk at October 28, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.