The pomp, drama and advanced military technology on display at the 70th anniversary of the People’s Republic of China sent a dramatic, carefully-rehearsed message to the world on Tuesday that China has emerged as a global military power — a formidable rival to the United States.The dazzling parade played an important domestic role as well, drumming up fervent nationalism and loyalty to the Communist Party of China and President Xi Jinping, at a time when the party feels threatened, with the economy — the main source of its domestic legitimacy — slowing.It also faces a bruising trade war with the United States, as other Western powers turn against the Chinese government’s policies, particularly its detention of around 1 million minority Muslims, mainly Uighurs, and Beijing’s support for a tough crackdown by Hong Kong authorities on pro-democracy protesters. The parade sent a confident, almost defiant message to the world that China’s time has come and that its past humiliations — largely by outside intruders and foreign forces — and its strategy of hiding its power and biding its time are over. Advertisement “It’s a military parade that is political shock and awe,” said Richard McGregor, China analyst at the Lowy Center,… Read full this story
- 'Stay away!' Iran's President Rouhani issues chilling warning to the West to keep out of the Gulf as he parades nation's military hardware - including missiles which could reach US bases - after America sent reinforcements to the region
- Traditional Chinese dresses displayed during fashion show in Mongolia
- Beijing 2022 a hot topic at China's "two sessions"
- China ready to join DPRK in turning blueprint of bilateral ties into reality: Xi
- Chinese PUBG players spend twice as much time playing as US players
- China promises creepy Black Mirror ‘social credit’ scores for EVERYONE by 2020
- China building mysterious 30,000-TON ‘nuclear icebreaker’ ship that can smash through Arctic ice sheets – but won’t reveal why
- Unknown Pleasures: A Chinese New Year
- Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition Review – Stay With Me
- China reveals creepy VIRTUAL newsreaders that offer ‘tireless’ 24/7 coverage
The military might showed off at China’s 70th anniversary parade moved some Chinese to tears. Here’s why have 335 words, post on www.latimes.com at October 1, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.