I remember a woman who screamed like a feral animal. She was leather tan and sinewy. Spiked bleached blonde hair, sculpted biceps, low-slung cargo pants with Doc Martens, veins bursting from her neck, eyes bugging from her drawn face. She stood on the sidewalks of New York City with a folding table covered with poster-size images from hardcore pornography: women wearing dog collars, women on leashes, women leaned over and viewed from behind, their backs crosshatched with scars. Much of the time she displayed a blowup of the famous Hustler magazine cover showing a naked woman being fed upside down into a meat grinder. “This is what your husbands are masturbating to,” she shouted in a barking monotone. “Wake up, women! Don’t be passive! Sign the petition!” Most everyone turned away or just kept walking. This was back in 1990. I was 20. To be 20 years old in 1990 in New York City was, as far as I was concerned, to own the world. I owned practically nothing of material value back then, but somehow this was all part of a magical transaction in which I knew I’d eventually get ahead even if it seemed, for the moment, like… Read full this story
- Pochettino hints at Tottenham team for Ajax as players feel strain
- Want to raise feminist boys? Then celebrate their manhood too
- How I raised my three boys to be feminists
- Opinion: Has the #MeToo campaign left feminists incapable of forgiveness?
- What does it mean to be a feminist? Some of Ireland's most well-known faces give their take on the f-word
- Days of Grace: Irish theatre's MeToo maven reveals bullying, backlash and her return to acting
- Days of Grace: Irish theatre's MeToo maven reveals bullying, backlash and her new play
- #MeToo, And Then What? Iceland Explores The Tough Questions Of A Legal Grey Area
- Rose McGowan: #MeToo has brought ‘real change’
- Meghan Markle says ‘I feel the embryonic kicking of feminism’ during International Women’s Day Speech
Team older feminist: am I allowed nuanced feelings about #MeToo? have 330 words, post on www.theguardian.com at October 16, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.