I remember a woman who screamed like a feral animal. She was leather tan and sinewy. Spiked bleached blonde hair, sculpted biceps, low-slung cargo pants with Doc Martens, veins bursting from her neck, eyes bugging from her drawn face. She stood on the sidewalks of New York City with a folding table covered with poster-size images from hardcore pornography: women wearing dog collars, women on leashes, women leaned over and viewed from behind, their backs crosshatched with scars. Much of the time she displayed a blowup of the famous Hustler magazine cover showing a naked woman being fed upside down into a meat grinder. “This is what your husbands are masturbating to,” she shouted in a barking monotone. “Wake up, women! Don’t be passive! Sign the petition!” Most everyone turned away or just kept walking. This was back in 1990. I was 20. To be 20 years old in 1990 in New York City was, as far as I was concerned, to own the world. I owned practically nothing of material value back then, but somehow this was all part of a magical transaction in which I knew I’d eventually get ahead even if it seemed, for the moment, like… Read full this story
- Growing pains for #MeToo as Aziz Ansari tale sparks backlash talk
- Vatican #MeToo: Educated nuns forced to be servants to cardinals and bishops
- PHOTOS: Feminist fashion students raise £200 for equality charity
- What does the #MeToo campaign reveal about Swedish feminism?
- China's #MeToo movement emerges, testing censors' limits
- Why saying #MeToo and Time’s Up is Changing the World By Ella Brown, Tolworth Girls' School & Sixth Form
- 'After two years in Sweden, it finally feels like home'
- Women allowed to attend football in Saudi Arabia for first time
- FIFA 18 highest rated players, hints, tips, Ultimate Team and Career Mode information
- Parents slam cafe owner who banned young children from his coffee shop – but allows DOGS
Team older feminist: am I allowed nuanced feelings about #MeToo? have 309 words, post on www.theguardian.com at October 16, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.