A superyacht once owned by Jho Low, a fugitive at the centre of Malaysia’s 1MDB financial scandal, has been put back on the market after a few months as a celebrity party venue. The vessel, now named Tranquility, is being sold for US$200m, an increase of more than $70m on its previous price tag. It is currently owned by the Genting Group, a Malaysian conglomerate with business interests in real estate, hospitality, plantations and energy supply. The firm bought the 91.5-metre yacht from the Malaysian government for $126m, which was about half its original purchase price, after it was seized by Indonesian authorities off the coast of Bali in 2018. Previously named Equanimity, the yacht was owned by Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, 37, better known as Jho Low. He has been accused of masterminding the looting hundreds of millions of dollars from Malaysia’s sovereign wealth fund, 1MDB. Low is in hiding, believed by many to be in China. He has previously said that he has not broken any laws. Former prime minister Najib Razak, 66, is currently on trial in Kuala Lumpur for 1MDB-related charges. Tranquility typifies Low’s super-luxury, celebrity-packed lifestyle. It features a gym, massage room, grand piano,… Read full this story
- Malaysians poke fun at 1MDB scandal with 'Kleptopoly'
- Seizure of Jho Low-linked superyacht ruled invalid by Indonesian court
- Malaysians poke fun at 1MDB scandal
- Katie Lowes hopes 'Scandal' is remembered for putting women in 'amazing roles'
- WATCH: From low paid retail sales assistant to successful forex trader
- New study links a low testosterone level to chronic disease
- Study links divorce, low socioeconomic status to higher risk of 2nd heart attack, stroke
- Indonesia court rules yacht seizure in 1MDB case invalid
- Stocks and Scandals: Is the Malaysia Malaise Over?
- Best high street sales on right now
Superyacht linked to Jho Low and 1MDB scandal for sale again, for an extra $74m have 300 words, post on www.theguardian.com at October 20, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.