Earlier this month, Harry launched an extraordinary attack on the British media accusing the press of ‘bullying’ and ‘relentless propaganda’ and said his ‘deepest fear’ was his ‘wife falling victim to the same powerful forces’ that his mother faced.
Appearing on Lorraine today, royal editor Russell Myers claimed that the 72-year-old musician has advised the couple on the matter, and insisted that they should ‘follow their hearts’ if they feel ‘strongly’ about the issue.
The attack on the press came directly after Harry, Meghan and baby Archie enjoyed glowing media coverage on their very successful ten-day royal tour in Africa and appearing on Lorraine today, Russell opened up about a forthcoming ITV documentary following the couple as they travelled through the continent.
Prince Harry,35, launched an unprecedented attack on the British press earlier this month where he accused them of ’bullying’ and ‘relentless propaganda’ against his wife Meghan Markle, 38
Sir Elton John, 71, has shown his support for the royal couple with a royal expert claiming he has insisted that the couple should ‘follow their hearts’ if they feel ‘strongly’ about the matter
Appearing on today’s Lorraine show, royal editor Russell Myers said that Elton John has been advising Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in their fight against the British press
He said: ‘It’ll be fascinating to see the dynamic between the two and of course the relationship with the press and the pressure they feel they’re under.
‘Harry and Meghan’s decision to start suing British newspapers, which I think is a real watershed moment in terms of the relationship between the royals and the press.’
Host Lorraine interjected : ‘Well they’ve got Elton John on their side.’
The expert responded: ‘He’s been giving advice, saying “if you feel very strongly about these things then you have to follow your heart”’.
Elton has a close connection to the Royal family, having having serenaded guests at the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in May 2018 and is pictured here attending the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at Westminster Abbey in 2011
The musician is a long-time friend of the royal couple, having serenaded guests at their wedding in May 2018 and in August this year the royals took a trip to Nice, France to stay with Elton in his £15million mansion.
He has a close connection to the Royal family and also attended the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at Westminster Abbey in 2011.
In his statement against the press, Harry said: ‘Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son.
’There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is knowingly false and malicious, and though we have continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been.
Harry added: ‘My deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person.’
Royal sources previously claimed Harry was warned not to publish the statement while he and Meghan were still on their publicly-funded tour of Africa.
They also allege he refused to tell his father Charles and brother William, who only found out when the message was published, The Times reports.
Harry’s comments came as the royal couple announced Meghan had decided to take legal action against the Mail on Sunday after publication of a letter to her estranged father Thomas Markle
Harry’s comments came as the royal couple announced Meghan had decided to take legal action against the Mail on Sunday after publication of a letter to her estranged father Thomas Markle.
The letter was revealed by Mr Markle in an interview in which he revealed how hurt he was by comments made by the Duchess’s friends in an article for People magazine.
Law firm Schillings, representing the Duchess, said she had filed a High Court claim against the paper and its parent company Associated Newspapers over the alleged misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018.
A spokesman for the Mail on Sunday said: ‘The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously. Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’s letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning.’
FULL STATEMENT FROM THE DUKE OF SUSSEX
‘Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son.
‘There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is knowingly false and malicious, and though we have continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been. Because in today’s digital age, press fabrications are repurposed as truth across the globe. One day’s coverage is no longer tomorrow’s chip-paper.
‘Up to now, we have been unable to correct the continual misrepresentations – something that these select media outlets have been aware of and have therefore exploited on a daily and sometimes hourly basis.
‘It is for this reason we are taking legal action, a process that has been many months in the making.
‘The positive coverage of the past week from these same publications exposes the double standards of this specific press pack that has vilified her almost daily for the past nine months; they have been able to create lie after lie at her expense simply because she has not been visible while on maternity leave.
‘She is the same woman she was a year ago on our wedding day, just as she is the same woman you’ve seen on this Africa tour.
‘For these select media this is a game, and one that we have been unwilling to play from the start. I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long. To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in.
‘This particular legal action hinges on one incident in a long and disturbing pattern of behaviour by British tabloid media. The contents of a private letter were published unlawfully in an intentionally destructive manner to manipulate you, the reader, and further the divisive agenda of the media group in question.
‘In addition to their unlawful publication of this private document, they purposely misled you by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words to mask the lies they had perpetuated for over a year.
‘There comes a point when the only thing to do is to stand up to this behaviour, because it destroys people and destroys lives. Put simply, it is bullying, which scares and silences people. We all know this isn’t acceptable, at any level. We won’t and can’t believe in a world where there is no accountability for this.
‘Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one. Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.
‘We thank you, the public, for your continued support. It is hugely appreciated. Although it may not seem like it, we really need it.’
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s bid to improve image post-Megxit failed miserably
- Meghan Markle will be 'snubbing' the royal family if she chooses not to join Prince Harry when he returns to the UK this summer and it will cast a 'dark shadow over the Queen's celebrations', royal expert claims
- Meghan Markle Reveals Buckingham Palace Is Behind The Name Change On Archie's Birth Certificate
- Meghan Markle 'will stay home while Prince Harry visits the UK' to see his family for the first time since Megxit - but insiders say it's not a snub and will avoid a diplomatic drama
- Meghan Markle's rescue dogs have been a big 'support' during Covid and her 'personal trials and tribulations' in 2020, CEO of her patronage Mayhew reveals
- Prince Harry Slammed by Judge over Tabloid Criticisms, Ordered to Pay Costs
- Prince Harry ‘can’t be half in, half out’ of Royal fold if he wants to keep military titles
- 'I wish Harry luck, he's gonna need it!' Trump's jab at Prince as he says he is 'not a fan of' Meghan Markle after the pair 'told Americans to vote president out'
- Meghan Markle stuns viewers of America’s Got Talent by sending a personal video message to finalist who spent 36 years in prison after he was wrongly convicted of rape
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's US election intervention 'violated' terms of 'Megxit' deal with the Queen, say senior aides - as they discuss how to distance Royal Family from couple
- Meghan Markle says taking her Christian names off son Archie's birth certificate was 'dictated' by Buckingham Palace and it's 'offensive' to suggest she wanted to be 'nameless'
- Meghan Markle braced for fresh damaging revelations about her family rift as her half-sibling Samantha finally releases her tell-all book 'Diary of Princess Pushy's Sister' and promises readers: 'The truth is stranger than fiction'
- Meghan Markle erases her first names 'Rachel Meghan' from Archie's birth certificate in favour of Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Sussex 'in nod to Princess Diana'
- Meghan Markle’s Day in Court May Not Be Over
- Avoiding Royal Drama? Meghan Markle Not Expected to Visit UK Alongside Harry in Summer, Media Claims
- UK's Prince Harry deployed to Afghanistan
- Prince Harry looks every bit the Hollywood star as he hangs out with James Corden (and camera crew) atop double-decker bus
- Meghan Markle's Sister Feared for Father After Pre-Wedding Heart Attack
- Meghan Markle and Harry's staff 'in tears of frustration and despair' over Archie row
- Meghan Markle's 'unfortunately worded' statement 'caused bewilderment at Palace'
Sir Elton John is supporting Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's attack on the British press and advised the couple to 'follow their hearts', royal expert claims have 1761 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 15, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.