Harry is currently sixth-in-line to the throne and has been one of the nation’s favourite royals from a young age. He has a reputation for being the ‘lovable rogue’ in the Royal Family and is known for his former partying lifestyle – such as when he was scandalously photographed partying in Las Vegas in 2012 – especially when compared to his more ‘dutiful’ brother Prince William. Harry also shunned the route of attending university and instead fulfilled his lifelong dream of joining the Army after finishing school.
He then retired from the military in 2015 and settled into family life. He married the American actress Meghan Markle last year and cares for his newborn son Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor in between carrying out royal duties.
However, he has not always been in favour of life as part of ‘The Firm’. Harry spoke to journalist Angela Levin in a confessional interview, as recounted by the Mail on Sunday in 2017, and said: “I spent many years kicking my heels and I didn’t want to grow up.”
He admitted that he endured several years of “total chaos” where he was “very close” to a breakdown and partying heavily.
He wondered during this time if living as a royal would be constructive, and even suggested that “no one in the Royal Family wants to be King or Queen”.
The Duke of Sussex then added: “I felt I wanted out but then decided to stay in and work out a role for myself.”
In 2017 BBC Radio 5 Live podcast series called ‘Images of Diana’, journalist Natasha Kaplinsky discussed the repercussions of Harry’s confession, asking: “Is that a constitutional crisis on the horizon?”
Historian and royal commentator Sarah Gristward said: “No – That’s been a tiny bit misunderstood. I’m not at all sure he was wise to speak as he did. But the fact is the Royal Family – the Queen particularly – have always seen their role, and particularly the Sovereign’s job in terms of duty.
“That famous speech the Queen made – I declare my whole life shall be dedicated to your service. That’s how they see it.”
The Queen delivered her renowned speech announcing her dedication to the nation on her 21st birthday in 1947. She ascended the throne a few years later, in 1952, and has since sworn to rule until her death. She is the longest-serving monarch in British history.
Ms Bradford continued: “I think probably that’s what he was getting at. But there is a bit of a risk there – because it does raise questions about the functions of the Royal Family and it does also slightly beg for people to turn round and say well, there may be penalties attached to their position, their job but there are a lot of privileges as well.”
Royal photographer Arthur Edwards added: “He should have thought about that before he said it. The Queen has done this massive massive job for many years. The Prince of Wales, hundred of millions he raises each year for charities. Look to their father, look to their grandmother and I don’t think he would have said that.
DON’T MISS Kate Middleton: Reason why William waited so long to propose revealed [INSIGHT]Why Princess Margaret refused to have any images of Diana in her house [ANALYSIS]Why Princess Diana was so distressed after ‘awful’ London experience [REVEALED]
“He got a lot of stick over that and he deserved it.”
Royal expert Camilla Tominey said: “Equally, there is a sense that Prince Harry needs to find the right direction and the right role in life.
“You wouldn’t want, for instance, to see Prince Harry cast in the role of Duke of York has been, being completely overshadowed by his older brother in terms of his charitable commitment and perhaps seen as somebody who has all the trappings of royal life with perhaps not taking enough responsibility for what his role is.
“Having said that, Harry is universally popular not just here but abroad, and he does give the royals that element of fun and touchability that the royals need.”
According to the 2019 documentary ‘Meghan Markle: American Princess’, royal biography Penny Junor said: “Harry was a reluctant royal . I think there was a real danger at one time that Harry might turn his back on royal life and royal responsibilities and go and live somewhere quietly.”
In the same documentary, CBS This Morning’s Gayle King said: “He decided not to abandon his duties for the sake of the Queen. She, like the rest of us, forgave him.”
Most recently, Harry showed his dedication to charitable life when he released a video with celebrity and fellow redhead Ed Sheeran advocating World Mental Health Day.
- Prince Harry Has ‘Wanted This Family Life for a While’: He Will Be an ‘Incredible Father’
- Queen 'held crisis talks with Prince Charles over Prince Andrew's future in public life'
- Prince Harry Gets Back to Official Duties 2 Days After Agreement for Exit from Royal Family
- King of the Closing Ceremony: Prince Harry is joined by Kate as he takes centre stage as the top Royal
- Prince Harry will become 'the bloke in the corner who used to be in the Royal Family' at parties while his and Meghan Markle's 'celebrity' status is not sustainable, royal expert claims
- Goodbye Britain, hello Canada: Prince Harry reportedly leaves the UK to start new life with Archie
- Taking their crown! Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Sussex Royal Instagram overtakes Prince William and Kate Middleton's account after hitting 11.1 million followers
- Prince Harry Arrives in Canada to Join Meghan Markle and Start New Chapter Away from Royal Life
- Prince Harry and Prince William Were Set to Work 'Side-by-Side': Harry 'Was the Secret Weapon'
- 'Good to see Prince Harry found a job so quickly!' Twitter users poke fun at Duke of Sussex after commuters share tube advert showing a handyman with an uncanny resemblance to the royal
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry confront her dad about staged photos in Lifetime movie sneak peek
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's royal wedding as it happened: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex married in May 2018
- Thomas Markle threatens to give an interview every 30 DAYS until Prince Harry or Meghan call him as he says: 'I can't sit in silence for the rest of my life waiting for someone to get back to me'
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'are furious at her father Thomas for dragging her mother Doria into their public row'
- Prince Harry Thanks Invictus Athletes for 'One of the Greatest Honors of My Life' in Inspiring Speech
- Kate Middleton to be ‘front and centre’ of the Royal Family as Prince William vows Megxit won’t ruin their plans
- If Prince Harry was a Nigerian prince
- Exclusive restaurant's billionaire owner and his wife were stunned when Prince Harry gave impassioned speech about quitting Royal Family during intimate dinner for 100 guests
- Prince Harry: Behind 'My Tough Decision' to Leave the Army
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's New Arrangement After Royal Exit: Everything to Know
Royal regret: How 'unwise' Prince Harry took huge risk in public life have 1164 words, post on feedproxy.google.com at October 14, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.