Sabrina Vonne’ Owens doesn’t remember the exact moment she was introduced to photojournalist Linda Solomon, but she estimates it was when her son LaRon, now an adult, was around 5 years old. “She just seems to have always been there, quietly and unobtrusively in the background, capturing images of my family,” Owens writes in the afterword of Solomon’s latest book, The Queen Next Door: Aretha Franklin, an Intimate Portrait. Owens is Franklin’s niece, who notably delivered a stirring eulogy at the Queen of Soul’s internationally televised celebration of life last year at the Greater Grace Temple in Detroit. Owens describes Solomon as a family friend, confidant, and trusted member of the press with a bright spirit and smile, adding that she is “humbled” Solomon had devoted so much of her life to documenting the life of her family. In turn, Solomon credits Franklin for giving her a chance at exclusive stories when she was at the start of her career. She also says “everyone in Detroit has an Aretha story.” But few stories are like Solomon’s. A year before meeting Solomon, Franklin had returned to Detroit after years of international touring, living in New York and Los Angeles to tend… Read full this story
- Stacey Solomon jokes about why Joe Swash hasn't proposed yet in isolation
- 21 Great Books From Small Presses To Read Now
- The 10 Best Concert Films Available for Music Lovers to Stream Right Now
- at 50: Robbie Robertson on the Band's Debut and Basement Jams with Bob Dylan
- Obama v Doma: how gay Americans marched towards equality
- As He Was Dying Alone From The Coronavirus, One Nurse Read Out The Names Of His Family And Prayed With Him
- The art of lockdown: musicians, comedians and more on their isolation culture picks
- An Award-Winning Photographer Left Iran To Be Gay. Two Months After Finding Love, He Died Of Coronavirus.
- Avril Lavigne and indie rock artist Pete Jonas pack on the PDA during date night at pre-Grammy Gala
- John Stezaker: What a carve up
Photojournalist Linda Solomon shares intimate portraits of Aretha Franklin in new book have 330 words, post on www.metrotimes.com at October 23, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.