Nine migrants have been discovered in the back of a lorry travelling down the M20 in Kent today.
This comes after 39 dead bodies were found in a truck in a separate incident in Grays, Essex.
Police were called to junction 9 just after 3.40pm after receiving a report of stowaways, Kent Live reports.
They then closed the motorway, but a single lane was later re-opened.
A spokesman for Kent Police said: “Nine people are now being checked as a precaution by the South East Coast Ambulance Service before they are passed to Home Office immigration officers.
“The London-bound carriageway was closed while officers dealt with the incident and one lane has now been reopened.”
The migrants are being checked by paramedics but will then be passed to Home Office immigration officers.
Motorists stuck in traffic while the drama plays out are not sure when they will be free.
A driver told KentLive: "Been sat here now for over an hour traffic is stand still everyone has switched engines off no sign of movement whatsoever .
"The two lanes that are closed should be open by now to flow the traffic through absolutely ridiculous."
Another said: "Been sitting in car on M20 with engine off for 30 mins + at junction with railway bridge just beyond Ashford."
The number of migrants being smuggled into the UK in containers and lorries has risen in the last year, according to the National Crime Agency.
A spokesman for the body said it would be working with police and immigration enforcement officers on the investigation into the people found dead in a container in Essex.
He said the NCA would provide “specialist support” to “urgently identify and take action against any organised crime groups who have played a role in causing these deaths”.
- Highways England trial lorry queuing system Operation Brock on M20
- 18 illegal immigrants found in back of lorry stopped on M26 in Kent
- Huge lorry tailbacks as Operation Stack is rolled out in Storm Gareth
- No Deal Brexit could leave thousands of Kent pupils stranded
- Lorry driver involved in fatal crash 'was watching TV on phone'
- Border forces pick up boatload of 16 Iraqi migrants
- Border Force officials intercept third boat of migrants in three days
- Lorry driver 'watching TV show before he killed student in crash'
- French army inspects vehicles travelling to UK as port workers strike
- Border Force officials intercept 19 more immigrants off Kent coast
- Gang of at least 10 'illegal immigrants' cut their way out of a lorry
- Boat carrying 14 migrants caught crossing the English Channel
- Eurostar warns British passengers not to travel to Paris
- Unexploded wartime bomb found at site to be used as lorry park in event of no-deal Brexit
- NHS blood donation clinics in Kent not cancelled despite Brexit traffic fears
- Death fears as increasing number of migrants make perilous journey across English Channel
- Operation Brock: M20 to partially close in no-deal Brexit test
- Storm Gareth to flood much of northern England and cause travel chaos
- Transport Secretary Grayling: 'No deal' Brexit 'could turn M20 into lorry park'
- Storm Gareth: UK ports hit by travel chaos with roads GRIDLOCKED
Nine migrants found in back of lorry travelling down M20 in Kent have 503 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at October 23, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.