Nasa has unveiled two new spacesuits designed to be worn by the first woman to walk on the moon.
The next-generation suits were made for the Artemis programme, which aims to land the first woman and next man on the moon by 2024.
Speaking at Nasa’s headquarters, the administrator, Jim Bridenstine, and spacesuit engineers presented the first closeup look at the suits.
A bulky, mostly white prototype suit with blue and red arms was demonstrated by Kristine Davis, a spacesuit engineer at the Johnson Space Center.
“Kristine is wearing a spacesuit that will fit all of our astronauts when we go to the moon,” Bridenstine said. “These are our spacesuits for the Artemis generation.”
The suit is more flexible than previous generation suits, allowing astronauts to squat to pick up rocks and move more easily. The insulation is designed to withstand a temperature range of -150C to 120C.
“If we remember the Apollo generation, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin bunny-hopped on the surface of the moon,” Bridenstine said. “Now we are actually going to be able to walk on the surface of the moon, which is very different from our suits of the past.”
A new orange pressure suit, the Orion crew survival system, was worn by the spacesuit engineer Dustin Gohmert. It will be worn by astronauts when they launch into space on the Orion capsule and return to Earth.
The focus on spacesuits designed to fit a more diverse crew comes after plans for the first all-female spacewalk had to be scrapped this year because there were not enough medium-size spacesuits.
Christina Koch and Anne McClain had been scheduled to step outside the International Space Station to install batteries, but in the event only Koch was able to take part in the walk.
Another attempt at an all-female spacewalk, involving Nasa astronauts Christina Koch and Jessica Meir, is scheduled to take place on Thursday. The pair plan to embark on a six-hour outing to replace faulty batteries.
- Wonder Woman 1984 Set Photos Offer More Of Diana And Steve
- Gal Gadot And Chris Pine Are On The Run In New Wonder Woman 1984 Set Pics
- Historic All-Female Spacewalk Canceled Because There Weren’t Enough Spacesuits in the Right Size
- Apollo 11's 50th anniversary: Quick guide to the first moon landing
- Adam Savage Shows Off The Spacesuits Used in FIRST MAN
- The Biggest Threat to NASA's Future Is the Ocean
- Enceladus up close: Cassini sends back first images after diving through icy plumes in search for life on Saturn's moon
- Open house Saturday at NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston
- New Up-Close Images of Saturn's Tiny Moon Prove It's a Dumpling
- Here's the trailer for "First Man" about Neil Armstrong mission to the moon starring Ryan Gosling