Michelle Obama has opened up about her fitness regime and asked other women to share how they ‘take care’ of themselves in a gym selfie.
On Sunday, the former First Lady wrote: ‘It doesn’t always feel good in the moment.’
‘But after the fact, I’m always glad I hit the gym. How did you all take care of yourself on this #SelfCareSunday? ����,’ the 55-year-old mom of two added.
The former First Lady can be seen dressed in gym gear, holding a heavy ball over her head in a weighted lunge.
The former First Lady can be seen doing weighted lunges while holding a heavy ball over her head
Obama has become increasingly focused on spreading a message of wellness to other women. This photo from her Instagram shared that she would sometimes hold fitness classes with some of her girlfriends at bootcamp weekends at the White House
She has become increasingly focused on spreading a wellness message which began with one of her chief campaigns as First Lady during Barack’s presidency.
‘Let’s Move!’ started in 2010 and sought to stem the high rates of childhood obesity in the United States.
The mission for the campaign was ‘solving the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation so that children born today will reach adulthood at a healthy weight.’
Former US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama participate in the unveiling of their official portraits during a ceremony at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery
‘One of the reasons I took on the issue of wellness is because we’re dealing with an obesity epidemic that is shortening kids’ lives. I started with kids because my hope was that we can do for our kids when we can’t find the time to do for ourselves,’ Obama said during a televised interview with CBS Anchor Gayle King at Essence Festival.
‘Starting with young people was a way to ease into the conversation.’
During the interview in July this year, she also emphasized the importance for women to look after their health and referred to her father’s early death as a reason for her own self-care.
According to People, Obama has said she is a fan of yoga as it keeps her flexible.
‘One of the reasons I took on the issue of wellness is because we’re dealing with an obesity epidemic that is shortening kids’ lives,’ Obama said during a televised interview with CBS Anchor Gayle King at Essence Festival.
During the interview in July this year, she also emphasized the importance for women to look after their health and referred to her father’s early death as a reason for her own self-care
‘When it comes to our health as women, we are so busy giving and doing for others that we almost feel guilty to take that time out for ourselves,’ she said.
‘If we don’t have our act together as women, as mothers, as grandmothers, we aren’t going to be able to get our kids on track.’
Instagram users were delighted at the motivational post.
One said: ‘She is really out here with abs!’
While another complemented the First Lady’s appearance: ‘That’s what a woman should look like, nothing fake and inflated!’
‘She is really out here with abs!,’ said another.
- Michelle Obama’s Workout Will Motivate You to Hit the Gym
- Meghan Markle reveals that Michelle Obama answered all her Vogue interview questions over EMAIL - and admits she wishes she'd made a phone call
- Shady Grove Fertility Reports Increases in Black Women Starting IVF Treatment One Year after Michelle Obama Opens Up about Her Infertility Struggle in Memoir, Becoming
- Michelle Obama reflects on being the first black first lady and her reaction to Donald Trump winning the presidency
- 5 takeaways from Michelle Obama's exclusive interview with Robin Roberts
- Michelle Obama's former chief of staff, Tina Tchen, is named CEO of Time’s Up - set up in the wake of the #MeToo movement to fight sexual harassment in the workplace
- 'I was an angry black woman': Michelle Obama tells Gayle King she had to work harder than any other First Lady after she was undeservedly stereotyped as emasculating Barack during his presidential campaign
- Michelle Obama opens up about her miscarriage, going through IVF and Donald Trump in ABC News prime-time special for new memoir 'Becoming'
- Michelle Obama surprises a dance class at her former high school and it's amazing: ABC News Exclusive
- Michelle Obama admits she is 'surprised Malia and Sasha have any friends' after growing up in the White House surrounded by armed Secret Service who policed everything from sleepovers to first kisses