MESUT OZIL faces being frozen out by Arsenal boss Unai Emery – after the club tried and failed to sell him over the last 12 months.
The £350,000-a-week midfielder has featured in just two matches this season.
He was left out of the squad completely for last night’s Europa League clash with Vitoria Guimaraes and fears his Arsenal career is over, with Emery turning to youngsters Joe Willock, Ashley Maitland-Niles and Emile Smith Rowe.
The £42.5million signing from Real Madrid has been baffled by his absence from the squad and held a tense meeting with Emery.
He told The Athletic: “When I signed the new deal, I thought about it very carefully and said it was one of the most important decisions of my footballing career.
“I didn’t want to stay for just one or two more years, I wanted to commit my future to Arsenal and the club wanted me to do the same.
“You can go through difficult times, like this, but that is no reason to run away and I’m not going to. I’m here until at least 2021.
“I said that Arsene Wenger was a big factor in me joining Arsenal — and he was — but ultimately I signed for the club.
“Even when Arsene announced he was leaving, I wanted to stay because I love playing for Arsenal and that’s why I’ve been here for six years.
“When I moved from Real Madrid , it was a really tough time for Arsenal. But I always believed in what we could do and together we delivered.
“Whenever people see me in the street I always say, ‘This is my home’. I’m going nowhere.”
If Ozil stays, he will earn £31m between now and the end of his contract.
Emery refused to discuss the German’s future after last night’s 3-2 win.
He said: “I think tonight is not the time to speak on that.
“I prefer to speak about the match and about the players that played.
“He wasn’t in the squad and that was the decision and we will now work for Sunday.”
Whether Ozil features at home to Crystal Palace in the Premier League on Sunday is another matter.
This week he had a dig at Emery – and his social media post was ‘liked’ by eight Arsenal team-mates including star striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and skipper Granit Xhaka.
Alexandre Lacazette, Shkodran Mustafi, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Sead Kolasinac, Rob Holding and James Olayinka also liked the post.
He has been left out for five games on the trot now across all competitions.
He featured in just 24 Prem games last season.
Ozil’s Arsenal deal ends in 20 months but the club are expected to again try to flog him in January in a cut-price deal to get his huge wages off the bill.
Emery and Ozil have failed to see eye-to-eye for some time.
The Spaniard has history for refusing to bow down to the club’s biggest earners.
Latest Arsenal news
xhak’s your lot
Arsenal could sell Xhaka in January after stripping him of captaincy
COUNTING THE COST
Premier League fans to spend £1.3BN this season to follow team
Arsenal’s Xhaka must look at Owen Farrell and Co for tips on how to be leader
Arsenal news LIVE – Latest updates from the Emirates
Vitoria vs Arsenal FREE: Live stream, team news, TV channel and kick-off time
And crucially he has director of football Raul Sanllehi’s backing.
Emery clashed with Neymar at Paris Saint-Germain before he moved to the Gunners.
In our poll, 51 per cent of Gunners fans want the boss to dump Ozil in January.
- Watch ex-Arsenal star Mesut Ozil’s defence-splitting assist for Fenerbahce as 32-year-old proves he’s still got it
- Arsenal Outcast Mesut Ozil Confirms Fenerbahce Move | Football News
- Former Arsenal star Mesut Ozil celebrates wildly after scoring first Fenerbahce goal
- Arsenal's staggering contribution to Mesut Ozil's £350,000-a-week wages at Fenerbahce
- Arsenal Exit For Mesut Ozil Could Be "Best Solution", Says Mikel Arteta | Football News
- Premier League: Arsenal's Mesut Ozil Steps In To Save Gunnersaurus From Extinction | Football News
- Arsenal team news: Expected XI for Brentford clash - Mikel Arteta to hand two full debuts
- Four Arsenal transfer targets eyed in January while Mesut Ozil prepares for exit
- Arsenal 'willing to offload' Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to fund Tammy Abraham transfer
- Arsenal team news: Expected XI vs Chelsea as Mikel Arteta makes three big changes
- Mathieu Flamini wants UNITY project with former Arsenal team-mate Mesut Ozil to transform people's health
- Arsenal ‘willing to offload Aubameyang’ just 12 months after tying captain down to new £350k-a-week deal
- Roberto Firmino's verdict on best players at each Premier League top six club back in 2018
- Mikel Arteta identified “seven areas of weakness” before undergoing Arsenal rebuild
- Sead Kolasinac closing in on permanent move away from Arsenal as Fenerbahce talks continue
- Arsenal could still sign James Maddison or Houssem Aouar after £29m Martin Odegaard deal
- Arsenal star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's stance on potential move to Barcelona
- Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta confirms Thomas Partey injury and reacts to Villa humiliation
- Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Conte LATEST, Xhaka NEW contract, Lautaro Martinez BID, Aubameyang and Lacazette to Barca
- Willian among six players put up for sale by Arsenal as Arteta looks to raise funds
Mesut Ozil will be frozen out of the Arsenal team until club can offload him after failing to find a buyer for a YEAR have 919 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at October 25, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.