A man is in a critical condition after a broad daylight shooting in Washington.
Northumbria Police received a report from the ambulance service that a man had suffered injuries consistent with a gun shot outside One Stop on Blue House Lane, Concord.
It is believed the victim was in an altercation with someone at around 2pm today outside the shop when he was shot.
The 28-year-old victim was taken to hospital where he remains in a critical condition.
An investigation has been launched but no one has been arrested yet.
Superintendent Paul Stewart said: “We are in the very early stages of our investigation but a man is in a critical condition in hospital.
“Our officers are trying to establish exactly what has happened but we have already spoken to a number of witnesses who were in the area at the time.
“It appears that a firearm has been fired during an altercation and we are trying to identify who has been involved.
“If you were in the area when this incident took place, and have yet to speak to police, then we need you to give us a call.”
He added: “Incidents involving a firearm are very rare and completely unacceptable and we will not rest until we have established what has happened.
“Officers will be conducting high visible patrols in the area into the evening and anyone who has any concerns is encouraged to speak to them.”
Today’s must-read news, sport and entertainment
Anyone who can assist police is asked to call 101 quoting log 569 10/10/19 or online at the Northumbria Police website.
You can also report anonymously by contacting independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- Texas Shooting Leaves 5 Dead and At Least 21 Injured Near Odessa
- 1 person killed in Jamaica Plain double shooting
- Rapper Hussle’s death caps a notably violent week in Los Angeles, with 26 shootings, 10 homicides
- NYPD cop shot, suspect killed during wild gunfire in Washington Heights
- Massive manhunt for killers in French magazine massacre
- Black non-voters spit in the face of an entire generation of heroes
- Nipsey Hussle and his alleged killer ‘were known to each other’ police say
- Nigeria: Why Nigeria Cannot End Gas Flaring in 2020