37. 11’09”01 September 11 (segment “United Kingdom”) (2002) Ken Loach’s contribution to this short-film package of film-makers’ responses to 9/11 is a perfectly serviceable account of a different September 11: an activist’s letter to America about the coup against President Salvador Allende in Chile in 1973. At the time it seemed jarring, and in retrospect very much not what was needed; but it’s not the worst of the bunch – González Iñárritu gets nul points for incorporating footage of people jumping from the collapsing World Trade Center in a sound/image collage. 36. The End of Arthur’s Marriage (1965) A somewhat supercilious satire on the property-owning middle classes that Loach later admitted he was the wrong director for: a little bit Fassbinder, a little bit Gurney Slade. It played into Loach’s favourite theme – the little man against the system – but the director’s instincts are not best served by wackiness. A shame, as it throws away a great lead performance by Ken Jones, a regular Loach collaborator, and later immortalised as the prison snitch Ives in Porridge. 35. Fatherland (1986) Not an adaptation of the Robert Harris alternative-history novel, but a patchy account of an East German musician as unhappy… Read full this story
- Casting Director Breaks Down How She Assembles Unique Casts for Ken Loach Films
- Ken Loach Takes on Gig Economy in New Film: Workers "Absolutely Exploited to Their Bones"
- Robert Carlyle: ‘Big films don’t feed your soul’
- Eva Longoria stuns in a dusty pink gown with a daring thigh high split at Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony
- My favourite Bond film: Dr No
- Sick, sick, sick, said Rank
- Comfort films to watch while self-isolating – ranked!
- Under the rainbow: how directors make LGBT films in countries hostile to gay rights
- The Intern has been panned by film critics. Why am I not surprised?
- Jim Broadbent, Judi Dench to Star in Film Co-written by Eddie Izzard
Ken Loach – all his films ranked! have 316 words, post on www.theguardian.com at October 17, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.