Huawei is the world’s No. 1 telecom supplier and No. 2 phone manufacturer, but it’s a pariah in countries like the US — to the point that the FBI reportedly set up a sting at CES 2019. Over the course of 2019, there’s been an upswing in scrutiny of the Chinese telecom giant, with a number of countries banning the use of its networking equipment. And its phones are virtually invisible in the US despite its massive presence around the world.Setting the tone for how the year has unfolded for Huawei, the US Justice Department unsealed indictments in January that included 23 counts pertaining to theft of intellectual property, obstruction of justice and fraud related to its alleged evasion of US sanctions against Iran. Huawei has long denied any wrongdoing and continues to maintain its innocence. Now playing: Watch this: What is going on between Huawei and the US? 4:59 The core issue with Huawei has been concerns about its coziness with the Chinese government and fears that its equipment could be used to spy on other countries and companies. It’s the reason why the US banned companies from using Huawei networking equipment in 2012 and why the company was added to the US… Read full this story
- Chinese company hopes to deliver free worldwide internet by 2026
- Trump 'ignores warnings' his calls are being spied on by China and Russia
- Next Few Months May Show Whether Huawei Can Survive, Thrive Despite US Ban on Sales
- Huawei Stalks Apple, Samsung in Global Smartphone Market
- Timeline: Key dates in the U.S.-China trade war
- Xiaomi Mi A2 Launched, Honor 9N and Huawei Nova 3 in India, Jio Numbers, and More News This Week
- Small U.S. telecom companies face huge costs if they have to ditch Huawei
- Latest: China demands Canada release Huawei executive
- Stocks slump as trade truce concerns rise following arrest of top Huawei executive
- Adrian Weckler: 'Why the US is targeting Huawei'
Huawei ban: Full timeline as Chinese company reports shipping 185 million phones despite Trump ban have 312 words, post on www.cnet.com at October 16, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.