Cosmic Links For the first time, scientists have directly observed something called the “cosmic web,” a vast network of hydrogen channels believed to connect all the galaxies in the universe. Astrophysicists were able to spot the cosmic megastructure lurking between galaxies 12 billion light years away in the Aquarius constellation, The Guardian reports. Not only is a landmark scientific breakthrough, but the confirmation of the web’s existence lends credibility to a particular hypothesis about how galaxies came to be. Feeding Tubes As the story goes, the Big Bang flooded the newly-formed universe with clouds of hydrogen gas that eventually collapsed into sheets and filament-shaped structures. The points at which those filaments of the cosmic web met became formation sites for galaxies that fed on the hydrogen to form stars. This particular hypothesis has long been supported by computer simulations, but the direct observations of new galaxies forming along the cosmic web serve as much-needed tangible evidence, according to research published Thursday in the journal Science. Closer Look Before this, scientists had only spotted an occasional gas cloud extending outward from a galaxy, The Guardian reports. Finding the particularly-dim filaments themselves required the ability to filter out the rest of the light… Read full this story
- Our galaxy is due for a catastrophic collision, study says
- Chicago’s trash-eating river robot is a glimpse into the future of crowdsourcing
- Marvel Casting Director Reveals 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Was Most Difficult to Cast, Chris Pratt Refused to Audition
- Samsung's Galaxy Fold and S10 Line: More Is More
- Galaxy S7 and S7 edge stick with tried-and-true micro-USB port
- Do all the connections between Death Stranding and Silent Hills add up - or are we being played?
- Ibrahimovic wants to finish career in Italy, says Galaxy boss Schelotto
- 2 Giant Blobs at the Core of Our Galaxy Are Spewing Radiation. Scientists Don't Know How They Got There.
- The 15 Weirdest Galaxies in Our Universe
- This Is How Light May Have Escaped from the Earliest Galaxies, Turning the Universe Transparent
Here's the First-Ever Pic Of "Cosmic Web" Connecting All Galaxies - Futurism have 327 words, post on futurism.com at October 3, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.