ATHENS: Greece announced a campaign on Wednesday to tackle plastic pollution and promised to stop the use of single-use plastics by June 2020. “39 tonnes of plastic waste end up in the sea in Greece (every day) and a lot of it turns into fish food,” Environment Minister Kostis Hatzidakis said at a press conference. “The fight against plastic pollution is a government priority.” Greece has a coastline that stretches over 130,000 kilometers (80,000 miles) and plastics in the oceans affects its marine wildlife all along the food chain. The minister said the EU Commission directive to ban single-use plastics by July 2021 would be quickly incorporated into Greek law. Hatzidakis said he hoped for “a gradual stop” of single-use plastics by 2020, a year before the EU ban. Hatzidakis called for an alliance between the state, private sector, NGOs and citizens. He also announced a plan to cooperate with the A.C. Laskaridis Charitable Foundation, a private environmental group. Last year, the foundation worked with the Greek island of Sikinos in the Aegean sea to ban plastic straws, which are widely used in the summer for drinking iced coffee. According to the group, Greece imports about 700,000 tonnes of raw… Read full this story
- Dame Vivienne Westwood backs campaign to tackle plastic pollution problem
- Trump cites 'Obamagate' in urging GOP to get 'tough' on Democrats
- Steve Forbes sends message to business owners: 'You pray, you fight, you get out there and you pressure'
- Newport Beach Gets Back To Business With Outdoor Expansions
- When the going gets tough, the tough get going: Devita saraf’s lockdown leadership
- Explainer: Emerging get-tough consensus among Trump's China advisers tested by Hong Kong debate
- PM Modi bats for joint Saarc strategy to fight coronavirus, gets prompt support from neighbours
- Times Square will go dark for one minute so businesses can shine light on their fight to get insurance money
- Will we triumph in the war on plastics?
- World’s largest plastics plant rings alarm bells on Texas coast
Greece fights for its beaches and gets tough on plastic pollution have 327 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at October 17, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.