Henry Woods made his first start for Gillingham on Tuesday and is now heading out on loan.
The 20-year-old midfielder, who played 90 minutes against Ipswich Town in the EFL Trophy, has agreed a loan deal with National South side Concord Rangers.
Woods will be hoping to get valuable match action and is in line to make his debut for Concord on Saturday at home to Chippenham Town.
The young midfielder spoke to the press on Tuesday night about making his first start, against Ipswich.
“I am grateful for the chance,” said the youngster, who had already agreed a loan deal prior to the midweek match.
“All I wanted to do was try and give a positive impression.
“The result wasn’t what we wanted, but to get 90 minutes under my belt, with my first first start, was really good.
“It was a great experience for me and I thank the gaffer, Rayns (the assistant manager) and everyone, just for giving me the chance.
I did as much as I could, I tried.”
More on the Gills;
Woods has been on the bench in the league three times this season and came off it in the League Cup game against Newport.
Talking about the moment he realised he would be starting, he said: “I found out just before we were going out to warm up, that is when the team got read out and I was like ‘okay!’.
“There were 24 of us who travelled so I wasn’t sure. I had told my dad I had a chance, he did go along. He was probably hoping for a bit of a better result but I did what I could.
“He was buzzing that I was involved but before the match I had no clue, no idea. I just kept my fingers crossed, hoping for the best.”
- Gills youngster on the move
- Talented youngster signs first professional deal at Leyton Orient
- Striker agrees Gills deal
- Gills pair set for action
- FA Cup preview: 3G should suit us, says Gills boss
- Gills snap up midfield man
- Kyprianou pro deal just rewarded for recent development, says O’s coach
- Even when it goes wrong, Barcelona and Arsenal still feed the soul
- Do bigger crowds in Kent mean less grassroots players?