Former Derby County coach Kevin Phillips has confirmed his interest in the Sunderland managerial vacancy.
The Black Cats are looking for a new manager following Jack Ross’ sacking on Tuesday, with the League One giants sat sixth in the third tier.
Phillips has coaching experience after a three-year stint with the Rams, initially arriving at Pride Park to work with Paul Clement.
He then followed Gary Rowett to Stoke City in the summer of 2018 – and the former England striker has now suggested he is ready for the top job with his former club.
“I am not going to sit here and lie to you, and I think every time I have met you and every time I have been asked the question when the job has came up, I have said of course I would be interested. I would be daft not to.
“There’s pluses and minuses of taking a job when you have done so well at a club but ultimately I have always said I would love to have a crack at management and I would love to go back to the club.
“So if it is to happen at this point it will be great. If it doesn’t then maybe somewhere down the line it might happen.”
Derby County latest
This is your round up of all things Derby; the one-stop shop that will keep you updated on the latest goings on at Pride Park and beyond.
Transfers, injuries, match-days and managers, we’ve got you covered.
We’ll be bringing the very latest on the Rams throughout the week and around the clock.
Make sure you keep yourself updated with our handy daily catch up…
Phillips scored an eye-catching 116 League goals in 211 appearances for the Black Cats between 1997 and 2003.
Sky Sports reported today (Thursday) that former Rams boss Rowett was not interested in the Stadium of Light vacancy as he did not want to drop down to League One, although he is the favourite to become the new Millwall manager.
- Derby County Finally Relegated
- The Joy of the "Y" - Coaching a New Generation
- What to Look For When Seeking a Life Coach
- Job Search Methods and Techniques
- Six Great Reasons to Use a Coach
- Gender, Leadership and Management - Reflections of a Coach
- How to Make Money As a Relationship Coach
- Life Coach - Getting Help With Money Matters
- Life After Divorce - Steps You Can Take to Improve Your Relationship With Your Ex-Spouse
- Life and Business Coach - Do You Need a Life and Business Coach?