Engineers are appealing for help in a major operation that is underway to restore gas supplies to hundreds of homes in Wirksworth.
The gas supply was lost on October 9, after a large amount of water from a burst main pipe flooded into the local network.
Gas company Cadent have been working to resolve the issue which affected more than 900 homes on Tuesday evening.
So far, around 154 properties, mainly in the Water Lane area, have had their gas supply turned back on.
The company is now appealing for any affected properties who haven’t yet seen a Cadent engineer to get in touch with them.
For the past two days, engineers have been pumping thousands of litres of water out of Wirksworth’s gas pipes.
Extra engineers have been drafted in from across the Midlands to accelerate the operation.
If the pumping operation is successful, it is hoped that gas can be restored to most homes from tomorrow and over the weekend.
Before that can happen, engineers need to ensure that every affected property has had its gas supply switched off at the meter.
Staff have been working late into the night and early in the morning to turn the gas off at every property.
While staff have now visited all 900 houses, the company said some people weren’t in or didn’t answer the door.
The gas supply has been switched off to 88% of homes but the company has appealed for help in reaching the remaining 12%.
Our most-shared stories on social media
A Cadent spokesperson said: “We will keep visiting those properties to which we’ve not managed to gain access but if your gas supply is affected and you’ve not yet seen an engineer, please arrange for someone to be at home or make arrangements to enable us to access your property.
“Please do not turn off your own gas supply unless you are advised to do so by Cadent. Otherwise wait for an engineer to call.”
The gas supplier said all engineers carry identification and home owners should request to see it before allowing anyone into their house.
A support team has also been set up at Wirksworth Town Hall, on Coldwell Street, to answer questions from residents.
Cadent have said the team will be there until late this evening and can also be contacted via phone on 0345 835 1111.
Heading up the operation to restore gas, Darren Elsom, director of Cadent’s east network, said: “It’s good news that we are managing to get some properties back on gas but we’ll need to make sure all the water has been removed before we can restore gas to the remaining homes and business.
“Thank you to everyone in Wirksworth for your incredible understanding, support and kind messages. We know it’s disruptive and not nice for you not to have gas and we will stay here until everyone is back on.”
If you are ever in a situation where you can smell gas, call the national gas emergency service on 0800 111 999.
- Northern Irishman Kieran McKenna tipped to help restore Manchester United's world class production line
- Northern Irishman Kieran McKenna tipped to help restore Manchester United's world class production line of top talent
- Northern Irishman Kieran McKenna tipped to help restore Manchester United's world class production of top talent
- Fast-track planning move helps deliver 7,000 homes
- Tax breaks plan to help over-55s downsize homes
- GPA crews home for Christmas after helping restore power in Saipan
- Family’s appeal to bring Sunderland fan home after tragic death in Australia
- Belarus ready to help restore Syrian economy
- Scottish Water gives ‘discoloured water’ advice after service restored to Dundee homes
- MoneySavingExpert launches new free tool to help you reclaim HUNDREDS of pounds for mis-sold payday loans