A DRIVER was caught doing paperwork at the wheel while driving on a motorway.
Warwickshire Police officers spotted the man at work while patrolling the region motorways in a ‘supercab’ – an elevated HGV allowing them to see into vehicles.
The driver’s car was seized. A police spokesman said they understood the driver would receive a court summons for offences including careless driving.
A further 140 vehicles were stopped during Operation Tramline as part of a crackdown on driving offences.
Other offences included 71 drivers or passengers not wearing seat belts, more than 30 drivers using hand held mobile phones at the wheel, while one driver failed a roadside drug test and was also in possession of drugs.
A HGV found to have no brakes, defective tyres and no number plate was also seized.
A Warwickshire Police spokesperson said: “We have been able to extend the area in which this operation is conducted working with our partnering force and increasing the ability to intercept vehicles captured by the plain HGV.
“Sadly even with the severe weather seen at the beginning of this operation drivers still continue to be seen using their mobile phones and driving when additional concentration is required to deal with reduced visibility and extended stopping distances.
“These operations will continue to be run throughout both Warwickshire and the other midlands motorways in order to continue to make our roads a safer place.”
- Drivers caught throwing cigarette butts out the window of cars could be fined up to $11,000 from TODAY
- Driver caught hogging middle lane on M6 forces other drivers to dangerously undertake
- Thief caught on CCTV wheeling a large dishwasher down the street in Wallaroo
- Over 11,500 drivers caught without driving licenses
- Drivers caught on wrong side of road outside RAF base near where Harry Dunn was killed ‘by US spy’s wife’ in crash
- Thumb and dumber! Idiot drivers are caught on their phones - with one motorist caught with no hands on the wheel as he sucks his THUMB while playing with his hair
- 'Revenue raising at its worst': Incredulous social media users slam $337 fine given to a driver whose PASSENGER was using a mobile phone
- What are smart motorways, what are the fines and are they dangerous?
- Now even the AA says smart motorways are dangerous and orders breakdown crews not to stop on them to help stranded drivers
- Middle lane hogger is shamed by police after driving at 45mph on a motorway and forcing other vehicles to undertake