Novak Djokovic won on his first outing since the US Open as he cruised past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets in Tokyo.
The world number one had to retire from his fourth-round clash against Stan Wawrinka in New York due to a shoulder injury but encountered few problems as he launched his Japan Open campaign with a 6-4 6-2 triumph.
Djokovic took the fifth break point on offer in the ninth game of the first set before closing out the opener.
Popyrin was never allowed a look at breaking the Djokovic serve and found himself increasingly over-matched as he subsided in an hour and 25 minutes.
Djokovic, 32, will face veteran Japanese wildcard Go Soeda in round two.
Fetching more content…
- Japan opens 1st one-stop integrated derivatives exchange in Osaka
- Furore over overhead power cable running over open plot
- Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka win opening matches in Miami
- China Open among four events cancelled due to Covid-19 pandemic
- Waiting for Novak Djokovic With Tennis Great (Turned Coach) Boris Becker
- Gopichand, Ashwini Nachappa and Malathi Holla join hands with IDBI Federal Life Insurance for ‘Run to the Moon’
- 3M Open To Support COVID-19 And Social Justice Initiatives This Year
- Novak Djokovic likely to miss US Open due to 'extreme' protocols
- World No 1 Barty to skip US Open over COVID-19 fears
- 'He didn't break any law,' says Dominic Thiem as he defends Novak Djokovic after controversial Adria Tour
- 2021 Australian Open: Smaller crowds, player bio-security
- Djokovic reaches final of own exhibition tournament
- US Open: Chanda Rubin says New York Grand Slam will be 'very different experience'
- Novak Djokovic tests positive for Covid-19 amid Adria Tour fiasco
- US Open to take place without fans as part of New York reopening, governor confirms
- US Open tennis gets green light from Andrew Cuomo, but will players come?
- Tennis ace Novak Djokovic resists 'extreme' measures for US Open
- Djokovic, Nadal and Serena for tune-up event
- Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic named in 2020 Western & Southern Open players list
- US Open: Ashleigh Barty pulls out, Naomi Osaka set to play
Djokovic up and running at Japan Open have 329 words, post on www.sportskeeda.com at October 1, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.