Residents were awoken by a “loud” bang and “jolt” as a series of tremors hit the state. At 22.34 (06.34 BST) local time last night, a 3.9 magnitude tremor rocked South California. One resident told earthquake monitoring service EMSC: “Scary. Kids crying. A couple good jolts and loud.”
A few hours later, past the stroke of midnight local time, a magnitude three quake hit Northern California – although with a relatively weak tremor and at a depth of 26 kilometres, not many would have felt the shaking.
Just 10 minutes later at 00.19, the Los Angeles area was rocked by a tremor measuring 3.9 on the Richter scale.
One person said: “Shook my house for a good 5 seconds and heard a few noises prior the start of the shake.”
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) said shaking could be felt in Compton, Lynwood, Gardena, Willowbrook, Lakewood and northern Long Beach.
Although the monitoring service stated that all three earthquakes were not powerful enough to cause structural damage.
Scientists had warned of aftershocks following the magnitude 4.5 quake which hit California on Monday evening.
The USGS wrote on its website: “It is likely that there will be smaller earthquakes over the next week, with 0 to 4 magnitude 3 or higher aftershocks.
“Magnitude 3 and above are large enough to be felt near the epicentre.
“The number of aftershocks will drop off over time, but a large aftershock can increase the numbers again, temporarily.”
California is a particularly seismic region of the world, and sits upon the San Andreas Fault, the Hayward Fault and the San Jacinto Fault.
Tension has been building along the San Andreas fault for centuries, and experts predict a ground splitting quake for when the fault line finally ruptures.
The USGS has said it will be at least a 7.9 on the Richter scale and will leave a trail of destruction.
DON’T MISS Philippines earthquake: Panic after huge 6.4 quake rocks city [NEWS] Is Rugby World Cup under more threat as earthquake follows typhoon? [ANALYSIS] Climate change could lead to increase in earthquakes and eruptions [RESEARCH]
As a result, the State of California has launched a new earthquake alert app which will warn residents of impending tremors.
A statement from the Office of Emergency Services said: “The California Earthquake Early Warning System will marry a new smartphone application with traditional alert and warning delivery methods such as Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA).”
The alarm would not have gone off in this morning’s event, as a quake needs to be at least a 4.5 on the Richter scale for an alert to be issued.
However, even California’s Governor has warned that the ‘Big One’ could be on its way.
Governor of California Gavin Newsom has told the residents of the Golden State to remain vigilant as the Big One could strike at any time.
He said: “Nothing can replace families having a plan for earthquakes and other emergencies.
“And we know the Big One might be around the corner. I encourage every Californian to download this app and ensure your family is earthquake ready.”
- California earthquake: ‘Bigger quake’ could follow warns scientist amid Big One fears
- California Big One earthquake: Shocking aftermath of disaster revealed by expert
- Earthquake with 4.5 magnitude hits California's San Francisco Bay area
- Top 10 national parks in California
- Latest: Southern California wildfire is now 33% contained
- Newsletter: Powerless in California
- Adam Schiff has a dossier of insider information from Donald Trump's main lender Deutsche bank which he subpoenaed from the son of an executive who took his own life fearing prosecution for misconduct
- Democrat Warren rejects money from big tech, bank executives in White House bid
- Democrat Warren rejects money from big tech, bank execs in White House bid
- UPDATE 1-Democrat Warren rejects money from big tech, bank execs in White House bid
- EXCLUSIVE: Pictured - LAPD off-duty cop who shot and killed nonverbal man in Costco during 'argument' over chicken teriyaki as dead man's family say they fear his mom will not survive
- South African Rugby World Cup team hotel hit by earthquake
- Strong earthquake hits Albania, damage reported
- Tsunami the next big wave:the grandaddy of them all
- Mexico's Los Cabos braces for approaching storm Lorena
- Lowe: 2019-20 NBA League Pass Rankings
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Daddy did not rape Tina…he messed up our family but he was not a monster!' The daughter of Ike Turner and his backup dancer breaks her silence to DailyMailTV on his relationship with her 'loving second mother' Tina Turner
- EXCLUSIVE: 'The more I asked him to stop, the more aggressive he became.' Porn star, 23, recounts being 'lured to 42-year-old director's home for coffee before being anally raped in his Princess Room' as texts reveal their 'daddy-little girl fetish'
- When police misconduct occurs, records often stay secret. One mom's fight to change that.
- EXCLUSIVE: Parents of Andy 'The Destroyer' Ruiz reveal they won $10K betting on son beating heavyweight king Anthony Joshua as they share family photos from the champ's childhood, tell how he earned his nickname (and let slip he had a third nipple)
California earthquake: Big One fears and Los Angeles panic after three tremors hit in 2hrs have 827 words, post on www.express.co.uk at October 18, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.