The mood among Europe’s leaders was triumphant. They had a deal and as they left Brussels everyone was happy. But will the EU’s relief be short-lived?Across the capitals of Europe all eyes will now turn to Westminster, for a rare Saturday session of Parliament to decide the fate of the revised Brexit deal.”It is now a matter of putting faith in the British parliament to take its decision,” said Germany’s Angela Merkel. They have been here before. Theresa May’s deal was rejected three times by MPs. Yet more than 90% of the new deal is… Theresa May’s deal.The challenge of having a porous EU external border in Northern Ireland was the stumbling block that needed solving.’He’s colourful sometimes’Finally the Eurosceptic Boris Johnson, famous for poking fun at EU bureaucracy, won generous praise from EU leaders at the Brussels summit. Skip Twitter post by @GavinLeeBBC “Boris Johnson is surprisingly effective. It’s not only determination, but some political skills.”#Tusk on whether his trust in #BorisJohnson has increased….. and whether there could be one person fewer in that “special place in hell.” 😈#Brexit pic.twitter.com/tTyq8BPBw7— Gavin Lee (@GavinLeeBBC) October 18, 2019 Report End of Twitter post by @GavinLeeBBC One of his fiercest EU critics… Read full this story
- Watch live: Can Brexit be extended? UK Parliament discusses
- Brexit & Beyond: U.K. Parliament Overwhelmingly Rejects Theresa May's Brexit Deal
- Milkshake thrown at Brexit party leader Farage
- Ukraine leader disbands parliament
- Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage eyeing Prime Minister vacancy
- Brexit: EU leaders have serious concerns ‘as we need a government that can act’
- Brexit: EU leaders insist UK can still have a 'change of heart' and stay in EU
- Crunch time for Italy, Brexit as leaders convene in Brussels
- Brexit vote looms in Parliament, but May's plan appears doomed. Then what?
- Brexit deadlock continues as parliament fails to find majority on indicative votes
Brexit: Europe’s leaders tune in for Parliament drama have 324 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at October 19, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.