A motorway bridge has collapsed onto several cars during rush hour, horrifying footage has shown.
The footage – taken on a vehicle’s dashcam – shows the traffic slowly moving under the flyover in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, China.
Suddenly, the bridge collapses and plunges to the ground directly onto several vehicles.
Another distressing video shows how the front of the otherwise flattened cars are visible.
Several people can also be seen looking out onto the devastation from the remaining section of the flyover.
The incident happened at around 6pm local time (11am GMT) on the 312 National Expressway bound for Shanghai.
Chinese media say people were trapped in the vehicles and other footage circulating online shows rescuers trying to free those inside.
The transport authority of Jiangsu said the accident likely happened because of a “seriously overloaded” lorry driving on it.
Chinese news outlet CCTV posted on Twitter than no casualties had been reported yet, citing local media.
It said three cars were trapped under the bridge, including one parked car.
Construction and road accidents are not uncommon in China.
In February 2018, at least eight people died in downtown Foshan, Guangdong province, when a water leak inside a subway station construction site caused a major road to cave in
It is not yet known if there are any casualties.
The footage comes just days after a bridge in Taiwan collapsed, leaving 15 people trapped in the wreckage.
- NJ officials to Coast Guard: Stop opening Portal Bridge during rush hour
- Genoa bridge collapse shows what's wrong with modern Italy
- Pedestrian bridge collapse at Mumbai train station injures 5
- Taiwanese fishing boats crushed, crew feared trapped after bridge collapse
- Divers search for victims after arch bridge collapses in eastern Taiwan
- Taiwan bridge collapse crushes fishing boats, some crew feared trapped
- 4 dead, 2 missing in Taiwan bridge collapse
- Alert Motorman Applies Train Brakes in Time, Averts Major Tragedy in Mumbai Bridge Collapse
- Road over Bridge collapses in Mumbai, 5 injured
- Three injured as bridge collapses in Gajapati