Barcelona defender Gerard Pique was keen to buy Notts County and put Luis Enrique in charge.
Centre-back Pique is best known for his exploits at the Nou Camp.
But he’s also an enthusiastic entrepreneur and has a range of business interests.
With County relegated from the football league last season, Pique eyed an opportunity.
According to The Mirror he was considering a hefty £20m investment in the stricken County.
If a deal could have been agreed, Pique then had lofty ambitions to put ex-Barcelona and Spain boss Enrique in the hot seat.
Latest Barcelona news
Then owner Alan Hardy was desperate to get rid of County, who were plagued by debts.
It’s suggested Pique put forward an eye-catching proposition that included snapping up the best young players in the Midlands.
However, a takeover never formally materialised after Pique ran out of time to complete due diligence.
Pique was reportedly attracted to County because of their historic standing in the English game.
County were eventually purchased by brothers Alexander and Christoffer Reedtz.
Neal Ardley’s outfit are currently seventh in the National League.
The Wimbledon legend reckons he has a solid side this season as he looks to rebuild County’s fortunes.
“With everything that went on in the summer, you can never look and say we will get there,” he said.
“You are always apprehensive.
“But if you look at the squad and not forget the likes of Jim O’Brien and Damian McCrory, who were both missing on Tuesday because of injury, then I think we are a really good team.
“My challenge has always been to them that actions speak louder than words.”
- Sources: Barcelona's Gerard Pique was close to Notts County purchase
- Pique attempted to buy Notts County last summer
- Pique tried to buy Notts County in the summer
- Popstar Shakira practises tennis with partner and Barcelona defender Gerard Pique… and she’s REALLY good
- Barcelona defender Gerard Pique makes mess whilst shampooing partner Shakira on ‘beauty salon day’
- Gerard Pique and Lionel Messi lead Barcelona squad for Copa del Rey decider at Valencia
- Gerard Pique set for 500th Barcelona appearance
- New Spain boss Luis Enrique wants evolution not revolution in national side
- Gerard Pique: No U-turn on decision to retire from Spain